And so it begins - my Grendel build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So just so I'm straight:

1. Is there a standard measurement for how far the gas tube protrudes through the lower into where it meets the gas key?

2. My gas block, does it just go as far back as I can on the barrel, because it won't go further over the flare?

3. How do I know that the gas system is functioning properly/is lined up correctly, just go shoot it? And if it isn't could that be dangerous?

Thanks again in advance, OSA!

ljb2of3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. I'm guessing there is, but I don't know what it is. Just looked at my AR, the gas tube is in almost exactly the same position inside the lower, with the end just a hair past the center of the circular cut in the lower. I'd say if yours is close, its fine.

2. The gas block will go all the way back against the flange in the barrel.

3. If it fits, it is probably lined up fine. I would guess that if something isn't working correctly the gun just won't cycle properly, but I'd guess it would be safe to shoot. But, I don't know that for sure, I'll let someone smarter than me decide that one. If it were mine, and it everything looked ok, I'd shoot it.

I hope that helps.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks and I am waiting on a gas tube pin. Yep that's right, about $1000.00 worth of metal and composites waiting on a $.10 pin!

Frustrating to say the least, that and I still need some optics!

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about building my first AR and am really considering 6.5 Grendel. I'm still trying to piece together info to make a decision. What made you decide on the 18" barrel length?

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks and I am waiting on a gas tube pin. Yep that's right, about $1000.00 worth of metal and composites waiting on a $.10 pin!

Frustrating to say the least, that and I still need some optics!

I've been thinking about building my first AR and am really considering 6.5 Grendel. I'm still trying to piece together info to make a decision. What made you decide on the 18" barrel length?

You guys will love the Grendel.

Efsdad: I went with the Bushnell3200 Elite 3200 Tactical and it really works well with the Grendel....if you want to shoot long range. If you're looking for something that you want quick sight picture for something like hogs, then I would go with an ACOG or EoTech.

edwards: I have an 18" bbl on my Grendel and AR and I really like it. However, it is extra weight, so it depends on what you want to do with the rifle. What are your plans for the rifle...deer or hog hunt, long range, personal defense, etc????

[Broken External Image]