Another 1911 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not super familiar with 1911's so what was the difference between commercial and military (besides the U.S. Property and Army stamp)? Is the finish different as well?
Hell I don't even know how to break one down.....I need to watch a vid on youtube or something.....check on the numbers

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on what I cans see... I've seen martial Colts comparable to yours tagged for over $1500

a decent re arsenaled A1 will fetch $800 plus .. If your example has matching parts it is worth quite a bit more coming from early production

an original early mag will have a Lanyard ring and 2tone finish
get a good apraisal before you take an offer

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1+ for leave it as is, Don't try to clean it up or it will de-value it, You can use a gun cleaning solvent to clean it after shooting it but don't use anything any stronger and don't try to use steel wool or scotch bright on it to make it "cleaner looking"

A true collector would not shoot this gun, I can not read your serial number so I can not tell you what year you have but if you had a first production (1912) Army colt, their value runs from $3000 in this condition to over $10,000 in near mint condition.

If you want to learn how to break it down, bring it over and I will teach you how.

rickeyparker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Commercial 1911 made in the same year but its a commercial made 1911, Yours looks to be a Military model, The Values of these guns are 1500.00 to 3500.00 provided all the part numbers match up. My Gun had a Barrell swap in ww2 by my father in the pacific, Mine has a Serial # C88xxx and I have been offered 1500 for it many times, It has however been refinished due to the rust that was all over it when I got it out the barn that it was sitting in years ago.

Let me re-state the date of my oldest 1911- it was made in 1917.

Leggett71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out Collectors Fireaqrms in Houston site or email them. They have an awsome inventory of WWI & II 1911's and are experts on evauating value of old weapons.

Leggett71

Latest posts

Top Bottom