Another new cartridge.......400 Legend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder what the velocity will be with a 165 grain projectile in .40 vs a 300 grain?
Might get up to respectful speeds for a straight wall.
If I need to shoot a straight wall cartridge, I'll just stick with the Marlin 338 in .44 mag.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not real sure, but I think there quite a few straight wall cased rifle rounds available, but the legend series is designed to fit in an AR type platform

D.M.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wonder what the velocity will be with a 165 grain projectile in .40 vs a 300 grain?
Might get up to respectful speeds for a straight wall.
If I need to shoot a straight wall cartridge, I'll just stick with the Marlin 338 in .44 mag.
Only straight wall’s I have are a,30 carbine and a.458 Win mag

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think most of these new cartridges are answers to problems which don't exist . I felt that way to about PRC cartridges and the Creedmoors . At the same time though were gun and ammunition manufacturers to stop developing new products to sell at some point they'd go out of business. The 350 Legend on the other hand was specifically developed by Winchester to be legal in states which has strict criteria on which rifle cartridges are legal for deer hunting so it has merit on that point alone . The question is what does the 400 legend offer the 350 isn't already offering ? I seriously doubt that going from 9mm to 10mm made a massive difference in performance and if there was it wouldn't probably be legal in those same states.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, but I believe those are states that used to only allow slugs.

yep they have very strict requirements in a lot of Midwestern and eastern states on rifle cartridges to include caliber, case dimensions and how much energy and velocity can be generated.

Even the 45/70 and 444 marlin don't meet legality requirements in some of those states .

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight as to why you would only allow a straight walled cartridge?
Yes. It’s for deer hunting. I get the opportunity to travel to these states for work. If it’s deer season in the area I’m looking into the regulations. I try to hunt. Per the shops I visit when getting all the information I need. I ask why. Do to the amount of hunters these states require straight wall cartridges or shotgun only. I cant remember witch state it is but they can use dogs to chase deer. I have also heard of them using gray hound dogs to chase coyotes. But the funny thing is. You can hunt coyotes with any caliber you want. This is their state government doing this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom