Any credit gurus here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
To try and answer your question. You should see a date that the bad debt was originally reported. Once you get to seven years, all you need to do is go to the credit website and report the debt that needs to be removed. If at anytime during the past seven years you responded to any letters attempting to pay the debt and you agreed to make a payment, the date then moves up to the date you last acknowledged the debt.

I had some debt that my ex was ordered to pay after the divorce and never did. I rode it out and the month after the debt reached 7 years, I sent them an email detailing the debt and it was promptly removed.

I think a tax lien stays on for 10 years, but I could be wrong on that.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
How much interest does one end up paying while establishing credit prior to the mortgage? No way to know that but its probably substantial in some cases.

Cost me less than $500. I don't have great credit yet, but it's pretty good.

By definition this isn't debt. This is a bill. Only becomes debt when you cant pay the bill.

Have you ever dealt with the medical industry? It can get very expensive very quickly. Which frequently means you can't pay it off immediately.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told that passbook loans are the easiest way to build credit(a loan against your savings account; collateral). Low interest rates(3-4%) and you can borrow up to half(this varies bank to bank) and you still earn interest on the money in your savings. Say you have $3000 in your savings, you take a loan out for $1500 and immediately pay it back. Do that for 12 months and you have established credit(borrowed $18,000 and paid it all back).

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope. Been debt free for 14 years now, meaning no house payment in that same length of time.
If you have credit cards you'll have a credit score, whether you're carrying a balance or not. If you get rid of the credit cards (i.e, close the accounts) and the mortgage, your credit score should eventually go to 0 because you won't have any accounts for them to rate.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We put everything one one card as well. No balance carried over.
Counts toward frequent flyer miles. Haven't paid for a vacation flight in many years.
And that's why you still have a credit score. It will go away when I end my mortgage. I haven't had a CC in 20 years and wouldn't do it for miles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom