Any Direct TV subscirbers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HippyG22M3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going on 12 years, I have never had any problems or complaints. It does go out
when there is a heavy storm passing over, for the few minutes it takes to pass.
I have an hd antena in the attic I flip over too when that happens.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Works great if you dont mind the pay per view event you paid for to be unwatchable during storm. I used to watch UFC all the time. Other than that I really liked it.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Switched from Dish to Direct and am much happier. I was OK with Dish until I had to upgrade to HD and they basically ran me off.... Now that I've used both I prefer Direct TV, more HD, better DVR, more in demand, better equipment.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
about to leave Direct and head for Dish. Tired of them. Been a loyal customer since they came on the scene. Always bought the movie channels. I recently bought a new house and moved trust me not as easy as they say in their commercial. Spent about a month waiting for them to hook everyhting at the new house. had to have all the tvs in place waiting for the gu just to hook the cables up. had to argue with the guy to install the 4th receiver because I didn't have a tv purchased for that room yet. I pay monthly for their DVR recievers along with paying for the HD reciever that I had to put up 200 to buy the thing in the first place. I understand paying the extra for HD Channels though. Had NFL Sunday Ticket since they came up with it. after moving I couldn't even get them to let me have it free this one time. While they gave everyone else that signed up for Direct Tv got it for a year free. Like I said loyal customer couldn't hardly get them to hook up my stuff at the new house for at least a month. Oh and get this two weeks ago Idecided to pay that 4.99 for a movie on PPV. I couldn't buy it using my remote I had to call them which was ok till I get the bill and they cahrged me another 5.99 fee for calling and ordering by phone. So a movie i could've went and bought for 15-20 bucks cost me over 10 just to watch. ridicoulous called them and they said well if you don't like how we do our business your welcome to change. guess what I am having Dish installed may be a mistake and if Dish does the same I guess I will just have to use that extra money for more guns and ammo to keep me occupied at home. Of course not sure how the wife will feel about that but I will cross that bridge when I get there

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The product itself is fine, other than when storms blow through, as others have said. However, I called them about a month ago to verify when our contract was up, because we were going to drop the service to simply cut expenses. We were under the impression our contract was up this December, but they said it wasn't up until December of next year.

About a year ago, our receiver started acting up, so we called them to get a new one. They said since we didn't have the protection plan, we'd have to pay for the new receiver. They sent it to us and we sent our old one back to them. Flash forward back to now, and when I asked them why our contract had been extended until next year, they said it was because we upgraded our receiver last year. I told them they had to be kidding...it wasn't a receiver upgrade, it was a replacement. In fact, there is a sticker on the back of our current receiver (the "new" one) that says "remanufactured" on it. Furthermore, they never told us that getting a replacement receiver would constitute an upgrade or that upgrading our receiver would come with an automatic contract extension. I understood us having to pay for it because we didn't have the protection plan, but that was far from an "upgrade". After telling them that their "protection plan" was basically an extortion scheme (buy the protection plan, or we'll make you pay for the replacement receiver, automatically extend your contract without informing you, and make you pay for the months remaining on your contract that you won't be receiving service), I finally just told them I was cancelling their service as of this December and had no intention of paying out the next year's contract. They transferred me to their cancellation department, where a guy tried to get me to stay with them. I was finally able to negotiate a 50% reduction in my monthly bill by dropping to a lower package and having him apply an additional monthly discount to get me to stay. The channels I lost with the downgrade in package weren't even channels we watched in the first place, so it kind of worked out. Come next December though, I still plan to drop our service altogether.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had both. I prefer Dish equipment with Direct service. Dish equipment is far better, the user interface is much better, less clunky and has more options. Direct equipment is harder to use and the DVR limits you to 50 series, which adds up real fast when you have 5 people in a house.

DirecTV's service is superior. I have only had a couple of service interuptions since we switch 3 years ago. With the dish mounted on the same house, Dish lost service in a stiff wind, HATED that. The price is comparable, but direct is a little cheaper. I used to sell the stuff way back when I ran a stereo shop, I am quite familiar. Customer service is about the same- great when you first sign up but goes to hell (which is what they tell you to do when you have a problem) afterwards, kind of like cell phones.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had Direct since 1997. If there's ever a problem, call them and tell them they're fired. They'll come around. But to be honest, I've only had one dispute with them and they took care of it. I've never had Dish, but either of them are better than any cable service I've had.

Latest posts

Top Bottom