Any of you been taking acetaminophin long term?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I get regular liver function tests and blood work to make sure I'm not tanking an organ. Acetaminophen is some bad stuff if taken in too high of a dose or too long of a time.

Does your insurance company pay for these? Do they pay for as many as your doctor wants? Or is it limited to so many a year?

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suffer neuropathy, I take Gabapentin for it, and for the other chronic pain issues I have, I take naproxen Sodium. All strictly monitored by my Docs.. I take no over the counter stuff, even supplements that they don't bless.. Good luck.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Does your insurance company pay for these? Do they pay for as many as your doctor wants? Or is it limited to so many a year?

They have yet to turn down paying for a test, it's tested once every three months at the moment. For a while, we were checking monthly and they were still paying. It's just a standard panel, checking for elevated liver function.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best they can do is treat the symptoms since they don't know what caused it. The acetaminophen is in a pill that also contains hydrocodone. 325 mg of acetaminophen. My primary care provider just cautions me to keep the acetaminophen dosage to no more than 2 grams a day. He cautions that for chronic usage. Definitely no more than 3 grams/day.

What , may I ask is the hydrocodone dose?

Trammadol may be a better option.

What say you Doc?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hydrocodone comes in combinations with 325, 500 or 650mg of acetaminophen. you've already mentioned yours is the 325.

The hydrocodone is the narcotic portion (the acetaminophen is designated "APAP"). Standard available forumulations are 5, 7.5 and 10mg in a variety of combinations with the above.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What never ceases to amaze me is the steady stream of fools that knock back 5-10gm of Acetaminophen in combination with Hydrocodone (think 10-20 Lortab, of whatever strength they can steal, scam or buy) for weeks to months, and end up with normal liver function. Go figure.
Same with the poopy pants drunks- live with a blood alcohol level 2-4 times DUI for years and no cirrhosis, when others bleed out or turn to pumpkins within 5 years.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My doctor recommended acetaminophen over ibuprofen because there's apparently some new research showing that ibuprofen is not good for your heart. Sucks, that, since Advil is one of the few OTC medications I've taken that actually works well, but since we're working on my blood pressure, I figure I ought to listen to him...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my doc has me on 500mg naproxen twice a day, I have always wondered if that was at the limit?
It's more than the recommended dosage of Aleve (no more than three 220mg caplets per 24-hour period), per the bottle in my medicine cabinet, but those dosages are for usage without medical supervision, so I'm guessing they're being very conservative.

Latest posts

Top Bottom