Anybody here use Starlink?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is much the situation on my street, only with five houses, two of which would not care about fiber optic. Windstream has FO in the subdivision across the street, and they’re claiming they’ll get an extension to my street sometime this year... Maybe.

Update: we called Windstream (Kinetic) last week for the latest info, and they admitted they have no plans to bring their fiber optic 200 yards across the main road to just a couple houses on my street. They did lower my monthly fee $5 (woo woo) but per mbps download, I’m still paying more than 10X what the folks with FO across the street are paying. So I’m giving Starlink another look, but man, the startup fee of $600+, and paying several hundred dollars per year more for service, are giving me pause even with 3X to 10X the download speed I currently have.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: we called Windstream (Kinetic) last week for the latest info, and they admitted they have no plans to bring their fiber optic 200 yards across the main road to just a couple houses on my street. They did lower my monthly fee $5 (woo woo) but per mbps download, I’m still paying more than 10X what the folks with FO across the street are paying. So I’m giving Starlink another look, but man, the startup fee of $600+, and paying several hundred dollars per year more for service, are giving me pause even with 3X to 10X the download speed I currently have.
I would’ve had second thoughts too if I had another viable option, because Starlink ain’t cheap. However, I was paying really close to the same money for slow and intermittent service with Viasat. It was a no brainer for me, and I still have no regrets.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That whole program for rural connectivity was an absolute scam on the people. The "providers" just burned through the money and yes, they put down thousands of miles of fiber optic...but with zero intention of actually hooking people up. (IMO)

Fiber optic cable is run all in my area, the cable run is 46 feet from my front door, and has been for at least two years now, with no intention of servicing any of the people in the area.

Absolute waste of taxpayers dollars.

And another annoyance, now out here there's all these signs for underground cable, and junction boxes and all that junk....for no benefit to anyone in the area. My neighbor now has a 4x4 post with a junction box and a orange sign, in his front yard...that he can't move, or use the service its supposed to provide.

Latest posts

Top Bottom