Hughes Net SUCKS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father-in-law & Hughes Net LONG time customer is 85 years old and has been diagnosed with dementia. He moved into assisted living in August and his house is vacant so he no longer uses internet service at that location. We tried for 9 MONTHS to cancel his service but they keep debiting his card since he could not recall his Hughes Net account number. Now they say they have to have the 15 year old roof mount equipment and modem and power source back. Since we cancelled his credit card they finally sent a bill to his new address so they know he moved. We now have an account number and were able to FORCE Hughes Net to cancel his 9 month non-used internet service, He has mobility difficulties and cannot climb a 2 story roof to fetch equipment they installed so they want to charge him for equipment he cannot safely access? I am not climbing up on a two story house for such a BS reason either! Can’t Hughes Net be a little compassionate and have an installer go get it and stop billing him since they want the old outdated stuff? If not they should be ashamed. We will make a 3 hour round trip to get the OLD modem to send back and call to confirm receipt to avoid future billing as rudely requested. I will NEVER do business with this awful company.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father-in-law & Hughes Net LONG time customer is 85 years old and has been diagnosed with dementia. He moved into assisted living in August and his house is vacant so he no longer uses internet service at that location. We tried for 9 MONTHS to cancel his service but they keep debiting his card since he could not recall his Hughes Net account number. Now they say they have to have the 15 year old roof mount equipment and modem and power source back. Since we cancelled his credit card they finally sent a bill to his new address so they know he moved. We now have an account number and were able to FORCE Hughes Net to cancel his 9 month non-used internet service, He has mobility difficulties and cannot climb a 2 story roof to fetch equipment they installed so they want to charge him for equipment he cannot safely access? I am not climbing up on a two story house for such a BS reason either! Can’t Hughes Net be a little compassionate and have an installer go get it and stop billing him since they want the old outdated stuff? If not they should be ashamed. We will make a 3 hour round trip to get the OLD modem to send back and call to confirm receipt to avoid future billing as rudely requested. I will NEVER do business with this awful company.
We tried them once. The speed and latency is horrible. You can't run security cams off of that service because of the latency.
We are paying 1/3 less with Chisom Broadband, getting 3X the speeds. Our security cams work just fine.
Edit: When my mom passed away, I had to go around town and give a death cert to everyone to cancel services. The cable company wouldn't accept a certified death cert to stop her TV.
I tried to be nice but at the end of the conversation, just told them to go ahead and screw her credit report for non-payment as she is dead and walked out.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep...HughesNet is marginally better than dialup. We got it when we first moved in here because there were no other options. I knew what a horrible company they were, and how bad their service was, but felt I had no choice (because the Dish service is just as bad and costs more).

A month or two after having HN installed, we got cell service thru USCellular. Didn't even want to bother cancelling HN because I knew we'd have to pay the early termination fee. After about 3 months I couldn't stand to pay for something I wasn't using any longer. I called their customer service and actually got right thru to someone to cancel the service. I went on and on about how bad it was, how we'd disconnected the modem just a few weeks after we got it installed (she said she could tell we hadn't used the service for almost 3 months), and just generally b**ched about it. Not only did she cancel the service right away, she waived the early termination fee.

They sent a box for the modem and some other piece of equipment and said don't worry about the dish on the roof...they didn't want it back.

I was shocked. So, yeah...horrible internet service. But they did me a solid so can't complain too much.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make a complaint to the BBB. They have taken action against a company I have been fighting with for over a year. My issue has been resolved with a new unit.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I installed a camera system for a customer with HN. It was a clusterfk from word go. I don't know how many hours I was out there troubleshooting because the phone app kept dropping the remote signal from the cameras and the NVR. We finally convinced the customer it was their network that was dropping the ball by removing the entire system and installing it in a house in OKC. No problems after that with the system.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like Cox Cables MO.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HughesNet advertises heavily in my area of east TX, and everyone I know that’s tried it has hated it. At my old house, I had Cox/Suddenlink, and it wasn’t good as far as speed goes and kept going up every couple months. At my new place, I ended up going with Viasat, and all I can say about it is that it’s better than nothing. They’re on the same trend as SuddenLink and ding me for an extra dollar or two every couple months. As soon as Elon Musk’s Starlink internet is available in my area, I’m going to tell Viasat where to stick their it.

My iPad is cellular so I don’t have Wi-Fi at my house up there, but according to the service map, I should be able to get on Starlink in Alfalfa county. :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom