Anyone know a chrome shop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have my original manufacturer rims posted for sale on craigslist, they are one piece aluminum alloy 20x8.
I like the look of them, but they are painted silver, and never felt they matched the truck well; as its a bighorn edition with chrome everything else, they kind of stood out to me...

so i found a set of the chrome clad rims on craigslist and when i got new tires, i put them on the truck, and while i like the look of these new rims, its pretty obvious that they are fakes. they are basically a chrome hubcap pressed onto the surface of the steel rim, with cutouts so from a distance it looks like a real rim...

I had wondered for a long time before, if it would be possible to just have the stock aluminum alloys stripped and chromed with a nice reliable finish; but i had always figured it would be wicked expensive, or risk a lackluster job that would crack and flake soon after.

Then i watched a hotrod show where this company restores and rechromes oem parts off old cars, and while they never told the price they made it obvious that while theirs was the best quality around sure to last for at least as long if not much longer than the oem finish would have ever lasted, the cost was very high. so for fun i looked up chroming rims, and found a place out in California with prices starting at 175 per 1 piece 20 inch rim; and for quality they do a 5 layer coat process that is claimed to be superior to what anyone else does. and while that price does not seem outrageous to me, i really do not care to deal with such a long distance ordeal and shipping and hassles of freight damage.

So, all this long winded post has brought us to the meat of the post.
Does anyone know of a good quality shop that strips and properly chrome coats aluminum alloy rims in the tulsa area preferably?
failing that, are my chances any higher if i were willing to drive a little ways like say to OKC or somewhere about as far?

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We ship ours at the dealership to a place in California. I may be wrong, but I'm not sure there is anybody left that does chrome work on wheels around here. I have heard some places can do smaller items. I can find out the info if you want on the place we use.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Peerless Plating. Best in town. His name is Ray. Great aluminum work.

2 SE 25th St Oklahoma City, OK 73129‎
(405) 272-0596

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i went to peerless once with an intake weiwand stealth ram and they told me they couldnt do it because it was too complex to be dipped. they said that i needed to take it to someplace that does wheels. i guess meaning they dont do wheels.

www.jegs.com_images_photos_9257542p.jpg

Attachments

• 9257542p.jpg
    9257542p.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 75

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe Ray has cut back. We used to take inner primary housings to him (among other Harley parts) every week. Flawless work.

www.retrocycle.com_images_customchrome_28821A_12PRH.jpg

My brother in law runs Diversified, behind KP Supply.

2109 W Sheridan Ave, Oklahoma City, OK(405) 236-0545

They do a lot of steel. Seems like they still do aluminium.

Ask for Brian. He's a good guy.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To do it right, chrome will be wicked expensive, I would estimate easily $300 a wheel if you can find someone that will mess with it.

If it were me I would consider power coating the wheels, will still probably cost you $125 a wheel or more.

You can get into a set of aftermarket wheels for $1200-1500, I would do that before I chromed the OEM wheels.

My truck has the clad plastic/chrome, never noticed it until someone brought it to my attention, it still doesn't bother me, I can't see them while I am driving... :)

ETA: looks like lawheel will fix you up for about $900 exchange.

http://www.lawheel.com/store/catalo...p0rbgceb5f4r3&front_wheel_diameter=67&q=dodge

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom