Driving on the highway and cruise control observations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the new Adaptive (or Active) Cruise Control systems, it reads the car’s speed in front of you and automatically slows down your vehicle, but doesn’t often alert the driver. If the driver is inattentive, they may not even know that they’ve slowed down. Then when the faster cars go around them, they take notice and accelerate around you.
This has happened to me on several occasions. My wife's car has ADC, mine does not. I will be driving her car with the CC set to the speed limit. It is easy to come up behind someone doing a little less that the speed limit and not notice my car is slowing down especially if the speed differential is slight. Pretty soon someone will pass me or I will realize I'm going slower than what I thought and will change lanes and the vehicle will accelerate back to what my CC was set at to start maybe giving the driver ahead of me the same perception of what you describe.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drill a small hole in exhaust before the last muffler and insert small copper tubing and hose clamp it to the exhaust and then run it up away from heat and attach the windshield washer pump to it.

Fill the pump with wd40.
Someone gets on your ass or you see them about to get there let out a couple puffs of smoke.
If they get too close let it pump a bit and they will no longer tailgate you.

That would explain why that POS is in the slow lane is what they would be thinking.
If they give you the finger it will still be worth it.

Batman Smokescreen.

Do not get me started on the bean can full of marbles/rocks that dumps from under the car with a solenoid hooked to the horn button.

I prefer a cable actuated swingarm with a mish metal pad...

Tap your tailpipe with a spark plug and that is fun too.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand why you said before the last muffler, so it won't clog the CC.
Back in the high school days when folks were dragging main street in Ponca, I did a bit of 1 block street racing. Lots of LEO in attendance.
I had cable controlled dumps on my 55 Ford custom line with a pump oil can filled with a mix of kerosene and marvel mystery oil plumbed into the exhaust manifold. With three story buildings on either side, I could basically bring traffic behind me to a standstill with all the smoke while the opponent and I got the green light to race.
Got a lot of tickets back in the day with the lead foot.
Good Lord!!!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find cruise control in traffic to be an irritant, regular or adaptive. I don’t exactly hyper mile, but I do work more to maintain efficiency than steady speed. That means scrubbing off speed and then rebuilding it as the road rises and falls, or traffic slows and speeds up.

I try to drive as far out in front of me as possible. That allows me to regulate my speed relative to the traffic in the most efficient way I can. I also keep a close eye out behind me and make allowances for people I expect will want to pass me. If I anticipate well enough, people rarely feel inconvenienced by me and vice versa.

In the occasional situations where other drivers act unpredictably or just drive like a dick, I mutter under my breath and go about my business. Road rage isn’t something I care to participate in.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or they drive a GD Subaru with that eyesight crap on. I can be driving the speed limit in cruise control and come upon a guy like you. My car slows down to match your speed and I don't effin realize it until everyone that is not driving a Subaru is passing me. Freakin hell!

It also jerks me back and forth thinking I'm getting too close to crossing into another lane. During one 100 mile drive in the Texas Panhandle, I had to read the effin book to find out how to turn that sh18t off because the road had been striped to facilitate construction and they didn't erase the existing stripe. Damn thing couldn't figure out which lane it wanted to be in. I'm really surprised the car didn't get me a DUI stop.
My wife has a Subaru with Eyesight. I hate that car - one reason is just what you said - it slows down and you don't realize it.

The other is when someone in front of you is turning right out of your lane into a side street and you don't slow down because you realize they'll be out of your way but the Eyesight sees a corner of their car still in your path. Brakes lock up and damn near throw you through the windshield. I hate that car. At least it is slow. Couldn't keep up with Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What bugs me most is -
When I pull a loaded trailer I always drive slow. For whatever reason, other driver's would rather stay behind the (slow) loaded truck/trailer rather then merging onto the next lane and pass. (I'm talking about 2 lane roads for each direction)

I usually slow way down, before they realize that they can just merge into the fast lane and pass me.

okcchampion

Marksman
Reaction score
Drill a small hole in exhaust before the last muffler and insert small copper tubing and hose clamp it to the exhaust and then run it up away from heat and attach the windshield washer pump to it.

Fill the pump with wd40.
Someone gets on your ass or you see them about to get there let out a couple puffs of smoke.
If they get too close let it pump a bit and they will no longer tailgate you.

That would explain why that POS is in the slow lane is what they would be thinking.
If they give you the finger it will still be worth it.

Batman Smokescreen.

Do not get me started on the bean can full of marbles/rocks that dumps from under the car with a solenoid hooked to the horn button.
You just gave me a new project for the weekend😁

Latest posts

Top Bottom