Anyone know about importing liquor to OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, I'm not talking about beer or wine... I'm talking about liquor.

I found a source for a few difficult-to-find bottles of Scotch I want desperately that I can have a friend pick up and ship to me. I know you can't ship them through USPS, and I can't ship them directly to myself as a private party (I don't believe). But do I have to do it through some kind of licensed importer, or can I ship them to my local liquor store and pay a handling fee, or what can do?

Has anyone actually done this (legally)?

If there's no way to do this, I guess I'm just going to have to pay for a plane ticket...

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe this will help?
37-537. Enumerated prohibited acts
A. No person shall:
(...)
4. Import into this state, except as provided for in the Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Control Act, any alcoholic beverages; provided, that nothing herein shall prohibit the importation or possession for personal use of not more than one (1) liter of alcoholic beverages upon which the Oklahoma excise tax is delinquent;

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been trying to call ABLE to speak to someone, but it seems to be physically impossible to get a human being on the phone, other than the switchboard operator. Tulsa's Enforcement Division office main number gives you a recording with NO option to speak to anyone, only gives instructions on another to call for licensing/application questions and then says to leave a message otherwise. Called the main office, got the operator, got transferred to a licensing agent's voicemail.

Sheesh.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AFAIK you can't do this..... legally. You'd have to go through our wonderful "4-tier" mafia..... errrr system.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Report a delivery of contraband alcohol to them. They will come to you.
Lol

Back in the 70s, I came across some photos from pre-1959 photos of OK "revenooers" taking down bootlegger vehicles and the cargo. Now that was some real contraband compared to the milder modern forms. I don't know it for an absolute fact but I have very strong suspicions that both my dad and a couple of uncles were among some folks making illicit booze runs from KS to OK. Not moonshine, the real bottled stuff that was unavailable in OK before 1959.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 70s, I came across some photos from pre-1959 photos of OK "revenooers" taking down bootlegger vehicles and the cargo. Now that was some real contraband compared to the milder modern forms. I don't know it for an absolute fact but I have very strong suspicions that both my dad and a couple of uncles were among some folks making illicit booze runs from KS to OK. Not moonshine, the real bottled stuff that was unavailable in OK before 1959.
We don't live far from Kansas. I was young, but remember dad and the uncles making Saturday runs to the liquor stores in Arkansas City Ks on Saturdays. They would stash it under the back seat for the drive home.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you checked with your local liquor store to see if they can place an order for you? Some will try to say something like "you can't get that in Oklahoma" because they don't like doing special orders, but 99.9% of liquor is available here.

ETA: ABLE won't talk to you unless you do something wrong. Considering they won't give liquor stores guidance on whether they can do something in a grey area or how they can keep something legit when they call and ask first, I doubt they will give an average citizen an guidance.

Barn Dog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What they don't know won' hurt them. I'm in the food and bev business and I would rather have a prostate exam from a rabid gorilla than deal with ABLE

Latest posts

Top Bottom