Anyone that is shotguning varmints

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I completely understand the fact of keeping a shotgun a shotgun. The only place these loads will be used is on the Waurika WMA. There it is either a rimfire or shotgun. I decided shotgun as there are so many thick, super thick places.

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't have anything to do with hitting the cat within 30y.........I want something left to take to the fur buyer. Fist sized holes are tough to sew up. And turkeys with mods? Those two modified chokes haven't left my O/U in several years. They pattern my turkey loads and steel great for me, works for me. For the cat that hangs up at 70y, turn your call off and sit tight, most times he'll come on across to see what was going on, unless the reason he hung up was because he saw the caller.

Not everybody sells their cats. I'm sure mod chokes pattern great for you but I like the distance you get out of Turkey chokes especially when a gobbler is on the edge of his strut zoneand doesn't want to come in any farther, oh wait let me guess, I should stop calling and sit tight! I'll be the first to say I've made my share of mistakes when hunting (that's how you learn) but it's nice to know there are people out there that bring them in everytime.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not everybody sells their cats. I'm sure mod chokes pattern great for you but I like the distance you get out of Turkey chokes especially when a gobbler is on the edge of his strut zoneand doesn't want to come in any farther, oh wait let me guess, I should stop calling and sit tight! I'll be the first to say I've made my share of mistakes when hunting (that's how you learn) but it's nice to know there are people out there that bring them in everytime.

I've made plenty of mistakes too, and that's what's good about this board, learning from others and seeing what other have done, what works for them and what doesn't. If turkey chokes work for you and and your situation, go for it. But since you told us to go buy a 10g or go to the range and practice, I thought I'd tell you why I choose a modified choke. Nowhere did I say I bring anything in everytime, turkeys or cats. Nowhere did I say that everyone sells their cats. Nowhere did I say that you were wrong in what you do, just gave my opinion, just like everyone else here does.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I guess you shoot turkeys with a modified choke too? I'll agree that it depends on what terrain you are hunting.I get why okie4570 would want a modified choke inside 30 yards if he's hunting dense woods but, "I want my shotgun to perform like a shotgun not a rifle" makes absoloutely no sense. Why not just saw it off or load a blunderbuss for that matter! I don't think increasing your range by 20 or 30 yards would be considered a "rifle" shot. I've hunted small openings in dense brush 50-70 yards wide where cats would sit on the edge and not want to cross the open and I was mighty glad I had a turkey choke. If you can't hit a cat or dog inside of 30 yards with a turkey choke you need to hit the range or buy a 10 gauge. Just my opinion.

I don't turkey hunt at all so my shotgun is for predators only. I hunt mainly thick cover where my shots are usually 40 yards or less. A running coyote in thick brush can be a challenge to say the least so I use a modified choke. That is my preference. Not going to be right for everyone but I've been killing predators for a long time and it works for me. Sorry if my previous post offended you.

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wad probably a little too defensive. I just never thought I was turning my shotgun to a rifle. I've always been of mind to get as much length as possible. I even take my Browning BPS 10 gauge loaded with #5s when im hunting yotes in thick cover. I have seldom hunted for hides but when I do I take my trusty 17 hmr. I have hunted a ton of predators and not just in oklahoma but all over and for me tight chokes produce best. Predators hang up sometimes. It's just what they do and probably why they're still around and when they do I like having a little more boom in my boomstick.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I guess you shoot turkeys with a modified choke too? I'll agree that it depends on what terrain you are hunting.I get why okie4570 would want a modified choke inside 30 yards if he's hunting dense woods but, "I want my shotgun to perform like a shotgun not a rifle" makes absoloutely no sense. Why not just saw it off or load a blunderbuss for that matter! I don't think increasing your range by 20 or 30 yards would be considered a "rifle" shot. I've hunted small openings in dense brush 50-70 yards wide where cats would sit on the edge and not want to cross the open and I was mighty glad I had a turkey choke. If you can't hit a cat or dog inside of 30 yards with a turkey choke you need to hit the range or buy a 10 gauge. Just my opinion.

I don't turkey hunt at all so my shotgun is for predators only. I hunt mainly thick cover where my shots are usually 40 yards or less. A running coyote in thick brush can be a challenge to say the least so I use a modified choke. That is my preference. Not going to be right for everyone but I've been killing predators for a long time and it works for me. Sorry if my previous post offended you.

Since you don't turkey hunt at all, why did you even comment on it? You admit you know nothing about it.

Stick to what you know, and you'll go far in this forum. Troll like you have been doing, and you will get nothing but negative comments.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you don't turkey hunt at all, why did you even comment on it? You admit you know nothing about it.

Stick to what you know, and you'll go far in this forum. Troll like you have been doing, and you will get nothing but negative comments.
I wasn't trying to troll anything Dennis. Just giving my opinion about what choke to use on predators, which is what the op was asking about. I apologize if I crossed a line.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To get back on topic, I use an extended extra full turkey choke (can't remember the brand) with the Federal wingshok BB. My gun patterns good to 40 yards and I have taken them from 3 yards out to 37 yards.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yeah okhunter, stick to what you know. Which is obviously predator hunting. Last I looked this thread was about shotgunning predators, in which you gave your opinion, thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom