Archery ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BangBangJamDang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I am one or the weid guys that just enjoys shooting a nice recurve. I don't want sights or anything too fancy.

I don't hunt with my bow, but I have lot of fun with it.

Brix8984

New to the site!
Reaction score
I would call the outlet at bass pro in Springfield mo. It's a bit of a drive but well worth it especially if you haven't been. They will take last years model bows and marke them down 50-75 percent. You can get a readhead blackout ready to shoot out the door for under 300. They carry diamond pse and redhead mostly in the outlet some Martins also.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I am one or the weid guys that just enjoys shooting a nice recurve. I don't want sights or anything too fancy.

I don't hunt with my bow, but I have lot of fun with it.

hey your not the only one. I have always shot hoyt compounds currently still have the Hoyt CRX32 for my compound hunting.

But I do have a martin recurve I think it was like $180 new I shoot that just as much if not more than my compound. I do not hunt with the recurve but I just find it fun to shoot. Well I guess I do hunt with it some I go and tangle with some Carp and Gar with it. If you want some fun get ya a recurve and bow fish with that.

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I second archerytalk.com, then go and talk to Jeff at http://www.arrowheadarcheryproshop.com/ located right there in Del City. He runs it with his wife. They are both incredible archers and extremely nice and helpful. I met him when I first started several years ago and joined the Trosper Archery Club, which I also recommend. There are a lot of very helpful guys that shoot there. Some of the friendlier people I met the few years I lived around OKC.

I'd rather bow hunt than rifle hunt almost any day. Guns are just more popular and fun to talk about.

jayhawkclint

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't say enough good stuff about Oklahoma Archery off of I-35 and Grand.

We are really into archery. My boy wanted to try it when he saw Lord of the Rings, and it grew from there. We shoot Mathews compound. I really like the Z7 series. They are very easy to shoot and very fast. We also have a PSE and Sage Samick recurves that are a lot of fun in the backyard.

Archery talk has a lot of younger archers on the site and, well, there's sometimes drama.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad got me started when I was 5. I've always owned a recurve but havent shot in quite a while due to work and family. Making your own arrows is fun, especially when you hit a rock and turn it into toothpics. Taking a deer with a recurve is a real accomplishment, I missed a few before I finally bagged one. I used to be good enough to squirrel and rabbit hunt with one but Im not a good shot with it anymore so I dont hunt with it but its still fun. The best is just walking around stump shoooting in the woods with some blunts or judo tips.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just so you know and don't get yourself into trouble, many cities have laws against shooting bows in the city limits...you might want to check your area before you set up a back yard range.

longrangepistol

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some good recommendations for shops here, all great places.

H&H has an extensive line of archery equipment and a full range of compound and traditional (recurve/longbow), ask for Randy, J.B. or Steve and they will show you anything and everything. You are allowed to test shoot what they have on their range. They have 13 lanes of well lit archery range. They also have a virtual techno hunt (computer generated hunting simulator you can shoot big game) as well. The Cafe inside H&H is also another plus.
http://www.hhshootingsports.com/store/archery.html

Arrowhead Archery in Del City is a good shop, Jeff Steele carries both compounds and traditional equipment. Arrowhead has a full range you can test shoot any bow he has in stock. Jeff has indoor leagues throughout the year both dot leagues and animal leagues. They also run Crystal Lake outdoor range just West of the Oklahoma City in which they hold outdoor 3D shoots. There's one coming up this weekend.
http://www.arrowheadarcheryproshop.com/

Oklahoma Archery on South Grand and I-35 is run by Haskell Smith and his manager Scott Tatum. Oklahoma Archery is a division of Norman Archery and is one of the largest Mathews and Hoyt dealers in the country. Oklahoma Archery carries everything, but they do not have a range YET. They are currently 4 months out from opening a full indoor range at SW89th and I-35 that will be up to 35 yards. Their plan is to have an indoor 3D range within their building, a first for Oklahoma City.
http://www.oklahomaarchery.com/

There are many facets of archery. I shot wheel bows for years until I got drawn into the McAlester Army Ammunition Depot hunt five (5) years ago and started shooting traditional equipment. I have not picked up my compounds since. My interest went from casual longbow shooter to obsessively shooting 6 times a week (over a 1000 arrows/week), traveling the country competing and hunting. You will meet a fraternity of folks who will become life long friends.

If you have ANY interest in traditional archery PM me and I will be more than happy to let you shoot the traditional equipment I have at H&H's indoor archery range.

Archery is a great family sport, all my kids shoot with me. My oldest and I went to the National Field Archery Association (NFAA's) Indoor Nationals last month in Louisville, Kentucky to compete against 1300 other archers. A very proud moment for a parent when you child shoots her personal best in Olympic recurve on the first day.

LRP

schmeeking

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arrowhead is a great place. I take my bow there to be worked on when it needs it. I needed to get my peep moved once and asked him what I owed him, and he just said, I could get him next time. There are also shooting leagues there for camaraderie and practice. Good people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom