Are you giving up anything for Lent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toujours Pret

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recall being in a bar with a female friend many years ago on the evening of Fat Tuesday when she looked me in the eye and announced: "I have to get some meat in me before midnight".

Took me a bit to figure out what she was giving up for Lent.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Complete nonsense - the obvious and simple origin is in Jesus 40 days in the desert in preparation for his own ministry. Just as Jesus employed the Old Testament ascetic practices of prayer and fasting, likewise Christians from the earliest days tried to emulate Christ's own example. There are also numerous admonitions in the bible to engage in prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. All of which are Lenten practices from the earliest days of the Church. And Jesus' 40 days were prefigured by the Israelites' 40 years in the desert.

The info on the website linked should be ranked right alongside Jack Chick publications.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Complete nonsense - the obvious and simple origin is in Jesus 40 days in the desert in preparation for his own ministry. Just as Jesus employed the Old Testament ascetic practices of prayer and fasting, likewise Christians from the earliest days tried to emulate Christ's own example. There are also numerous admonitions in the bible to engage in prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. All of which are Lenten practices from the earliest days of the Church. And Jesus' 40 days were prefigured by the Israelites' 40 years in the desert.

The info on the website linked should be ranked right alongside Jack Chick publications.

There's a difference between origin and celebration my friend. Many Christian practices originate from paganism, while celebrating/following such things take on separate meanings. Christianity and paganism are much more intwined than you'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom