At&t or Cox internet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That doesn't have anything to do with Cox' service, that's your router. Sounds like you need a better router. If you're using a wireless gateway from Cox, that might be the issue. I always use my own wireless router with a modem from the provider, as the wireless gateways that come with the service are usually crap, regardless of the provider.

You're spot on...I have the wireless modem/router from Cox. Any idea if I can just have them give me a modem and I can buy my own router?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're spot on...I have the wireless modem/router from Cox. Any idea if I can just have them give me a modem and I can buy my own router?

You can buy your own and send theirs back or contact and tell them you want something wired only. You could also just turn their wireless off and plug a router into one port but you will get some double NAT so make sure to configure YOUR router to a different IP so your pools will not be overlapped.

You can go pick up some older docsis 2.0 bridges at most thrift store pretty cheap and they should be able to add without a problem unless you are on one of the higher speed tiers which require a docsis 3.0 bridge. . . and yes I say bridge because modem is an incorrect term. It's all digital so there is no MOdulate and DEModulate required, lol.

If your going to buy a router that will last a while scratch the ones that have internal antenna's. . . they are cheap and generally don't have a good range. You may also want to take a look at www.dd-wrt.com to try and find something that is compatible. You will find that the aftermarket firmware will add some features that can be useful to your setup and sometimes be more stable than what comes from the manufacturer. I have a Dlink DIR-825 that needed to be rebooted every couple days with the stock firmware and have run months without a reboot with dd-wrt. It does turn off the WPS or the nice little put in a code and it's secure but WPS has a flaw that allows people with a little knowledge and time to bypass your security as well, and it's well documented. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If your going to buy a router that will last a while scratch the ones that have internal antenna's. . . they are cheap and generally don't have a good range. You may also want to take a look at www.dd-wrt.com to try and find something that is compatible.

Can I get a double plus AMEN to this right here!

NEVER NEVER EVER buy a router with no place for an external antenna.

As for DD-WRT, it's great, but, it can be daunting to someone without the knowledge/backgrould to fiddle with it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can I get a double plus AMEN to this right here!

NEVER NEVER EVER buy a router with no place for an external antenna.
I can't go along with this--my home wireless router (and the slower router it replaced) has internal antennae, and it has never given me any trouble. I also have roughly 40 wireless APs at work with internal antennae, and they work really well, even with high user loads.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't go along with this--my home wireless router (and the slower router it replaced) has internal antennae, and it has never given me any trouble. I also have roughly 40 wireless APs at work with internal antennae, and they work really well, even with high user loads.

Agreed. I have a linksys E2000 with internal antennae, and it's the best router I've ever owned (my house is only 1400 sq ft, but I can get signal in the driveway while the router's on the other end of the house). I'm also running dd-wrt on it, got rid of that cisco cloud crap.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of this is way out of my league, but do I need to have a cox hardwired "modem" and then buy my own wireless router, or just buy a wireless router that hooks directly to the line?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of this is way out of my league, but do I need to have a cox hardwired "modem" and then buy my own wireless router, or just buy a wireless router that hooks directly to the line?
You do need a cable modem, but I don't know if you have to get the modem from Cox (I've seen them for sale at Best Buy, among other places).

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can even get unsupported bridges to work on the cox network especially now when you basically just hook up a new one and just put in your account info and activate automatically. Mine is a docsis 3.0 Arris, it's not a big name Motorola but it has worked great and I can see a lot of the service side info a lot of the others don't have access to. If you buy used you will probably have to deal with customer service if it was already activated on an account but I had no problems with my previous one even though it had been used by a friend before. If you buy a new one DEFINITELY spend the extra for a docsis 3.0 that is 8X4, 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels.

As far as the internal antenna's. . . yeah they work but if you have it in the downstairs farthest corner of the house and you can't get wifi reception in some of the rooms you don't have the option to add oh say one of these
[Broken External Image]

I have one that is slightly larger and have a CPM that will allow connections to networks nearly a mile away with that antenna. . . great for camping and getting something a little smaller or a directional can be great fun. At home it can allow you to push a signal to your back yard.

DD-wrt can be a bit confusing but having the option to use it is a big advantage. The easiest way to get started is to read up on their forums and ask questions. I had a linksys wrt54g years back that I could connect to from a little over a city block away with a plain old laptop, my place was right next to the mall and there was no wifi available so I could just hook up to my home internet. Just boosted the power a bit and got a larger antenna to work with.

ls3mach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am already leaning towards cox because it took 9 days for ATT to fix their broken line. It's sick how you never realize how dependent you are on the internet until it goes down.

AT&T took 7 business days to get my broken fax line fixed. I took my business account to Cox. I told them never to set foot on our property again. They couldn't even set forwarding on the line for me so I can get my faxes. I guess they didn't need my money. We were looking into bundling all the company cell phones. Unfortunately I chose poorly and have a bunch of Sprint lines. I've been there customer for 10 years and the service has gotten worse as time has went. SAD.

Latest posts

Top Bottom