ATF Final Rule Redefines Word ‘Sale’ So that ‘Bartering’ for a Neighbor’s Gun Requires a NICS Check

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I guess the classifieds are soon to be done?
I think we will see a LOT more "want to buy" ads ... And a lot less "I have what you need" comments -- IF I saw an ad where someone was looking for something I had and did not want any longer I would just send them a PM. AND ... If you are not a VERY established member who I've done business with before and know a little about you, I am NOT the droid you are looking for.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think we will see a LOT more "want to buy" ads ... And a lot less "I have what you need" comments -- IF I saw an ad where someone was looking for something I had and did not want any longer I would just send them a PM. AND ... If you are not a VERY established member who I've done business with before and know a little about you, I am NOT the droid you are looking for.

I think we’ll be seeing “Meet me at [name of transferring FFL] to do deal…”

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe time will tell I guess. I'm a much better buyer than seller so ... 🤷
I have been pondering whether going through a FFL matters in the ATF’s eyes on this new interpretation of the law. I have seen nothing that relieves a seller IF they simply go through a FFL. It seems that if ATF determines your are “in the business,” you are in violation if you yourself are not a FFL holder. Am I missing something?

I have also wondered how this will affect estate sales of firearms collections. Will ATF determine that upon death, your collection exceeds their arbitrary limit on # of sales so will they seize the collection under that premise? Will your heirs be subject to prosecution for their inheritance and sale or distribution of firearms?

Waaayyy too many open ends on this deal that open the door for the ATF to broaden their scope and reach.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right?? I'm glad I BUY ... I don't even remember the last time we sold a gun ... 🤔🤔🤔
You aren't going to live forever. One day you/your friends/loved ones will have to face reality of disposing of those guns from your possession. That is what this rule is aimed at.....long term full registration of all guns, facilitating eventual attempt to confiscate them. This rule is merely a start. They will work relentlessly at tightening the noose, with Little Rock Airport Administrator examples along the way for emphasis. I'm at that age where I'm wondering what to do with my huge collection. Son became a liberal in Navy Medical program/Med School, doesn't even own a gun.

Friend has lost his 40+ year battle with Nam Agent Orange. Always said when he got the final terminal diagnosis, he would at last die in a smoking pile of brass dedicated to the anti-America Libturds he hated with a passion. sadly, waited too long.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been pondering whether going through a FFL matters in the ATF’s eyes on this new interpretation of the law. I have seen nothing that relieves a seller IF they simply go through a FFL. It seems that if ATF determines your are “in the business,” you are in violation if you yourself are not a FFL holder. Am I missing something?

I have also wondered how this will affect estate sales of firearms collections. Will ATF determine that upon death, your collection exceeds their arbitrary limit on # of sales so will they seize the collection under that premise? Will your heirs be subject to prosecution for their inheritance and sale or distribution of firearms?

Waaayyy too many open ends on this deal that open the door for the ATF to broaden their scope and reach.
We can surely trust the ATF to know and advise We little peeps when they see a peep "in the business." They openly state even ONE gun sale could be presumptively evidence of being in the business. They're preparing to "Little Rock" up on the peeps.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This begs the question -- if you sell a gun in OSA will "management" be obliged to keep track of the $$$s that changes hands and send a 1099 at the end of the year?? (Yes, guys, I know they don't regulate sales here. Yet. I can see the writing on the wall, though.)
Don't worry OSA won't have to issue 1099s. ATF is dutifully watching, will issue 5.56s at your front door.

Latest posts

Top Bottom