Baofeng UV-5R, Ham Radio, What can I listen in on in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prairie Traveler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
KI5UIF here: I have a Baofeng UV-17R, hand held. It's an up-grade, from the UV-5R. I've had my Tech. license for two yrs. now. This is a great hobby. As you spend a little time, and a bit of money, [as in any hobby], you will make new friends, and find that HAM radio is a great place to be of service to your community also. I also agree that looking up Repeaterbook.com, is a great site to find the frequencies for the repeaters in your location. Your vocabulary will also increase, as you learn more about HAM radio. The hobby is a good place to be of service to your community. I'll bet that if you stop by a few local fire stations, in your area, you may find some HAM operators there. Visit your local library, and ask about resources they may have. There are many web sites, such as ARRL, and even the FCC, where you can fine information.
Most of all, have fun!

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I will be getting a Ham license. I also think I may get a scanner. I have some GMRS radios, bought them after a cellular outage a few years back. As for the Baofeng I am surprised with all the settings they do not have one to turn off the PTT button!
PTT disengagement can't be acquired manually but can be programmed through CHIRP app and a cord. App is free, cord is $10 on Amazon. You'll want to do this so you can name the frequencies for easier recognition instead of memorizing frequencies or referencing a cheat sheet. Also, you can set up just the frequencies you want to scan eliminating things like NOAA that you still want but don't want scanning function locked on. If you want to listen to emergency services primarily there are a few you can get on the Baofeng, but being an analogue type radio it's limited. To receive the most of those frequencies will require a quality scanner with digital and trunking capabilities.

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PTT disengagement can't be acquired manually but can be programmed through CHIRP app and a cord. App is free, cord is $10 on Amazon. You'll want to do this so you can name the frequencies for easier recognition instead of memorizing frequencies or referencing a cheat sheet. Also, you can set up just the frequencies you want to scan eliminating things like NOAA that you still want but don't want scanning function locked on. If you want to listen to emergency services primarily there are a few you can get on the Baofeng, but being an analogue type radio it's limited. To receive the most of those frequencies will require a quality scanner with digital and trunking capabilities.
Already set up Chirp, loaded channels. This is going to be a rabit hole. Already looking at scanners. Worth mentioning, my GMRS license came through well under 24 hrs. The NFA system could learn something from them.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The tri- band Nagoya antenna for the UV5R is a good add for the Baofengs .
You can go into settings and change the frequency range in chirp to work on the 1.25 meter band as well. It is low power but does work. There is a repeater at the Sandridge bldg in OKC that is 1.25m . The Sandridge repeater station is W5GDL.