Baofeng UV-5R, Ham Radio, What can I listen in on in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t know it was encouraged to get a license for the cb?
I haven’t been active in radio communications in years, but yes. The licenses were encouraged. I think mainly for registration purposes so that the government would know who was saying anything they didn’t like.

Back in my teens and twenties (years ago) I was active in CB. There was always talk of FCC driving around with tracking equipment issuing citations for people without licenses.

Then there were the tales of people using linear boosters and overriding several channels because their output signal was WAY beyond legal limits that were followed closely with stories of huge fines and seizures of equipment.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FCC rarely needs to get involved with ham radio infringements, We police ourselves pretty well. Many of us enjoy radio direction finding and signal triangulation. We have many law enforcement friends in the hobby. Usually a friendly visit by one of them resolves the issue before we have to get the FCC involved.

Yes we welcome all who are interested in our hobby and will help any way we can to get you into it, but we are also very protective of our hobby so that it does not go to hell like CB radio has. License is not hard to study for and get. Joining a group of like minded people and making new friends is no different than any other hobby, like shooting. Just don't point your loaded firearm at others. Similar.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ham radio is like shooting, you can enjoy pistols, long range rifle, clay pigeons, close defense, many different ways to use it. Myself, I enjoy driving my jeep down by the lake and with no commercial power, no cell phone, no internet and be able to talk with friends locally or world wide. JMO

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Is FRS the lower watt channel?
Yes, FRS is designed for short range line of sight communication... Think less than 1/2 mile. GMRS is repeater capable and you can talk all over the OKC metro and further area using hand held tuned to the repeater(T-Town has a repeater as well)

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Serious question-
Do you actually have to have a license?
I know of/ or a lot of ppl that use them. They do not have their licenses. They all say the same thing. The FCC won’t prosecute you they have not prosecuted anyone in over 10years. They have also said the older guys will get on there and report or telling on Them but nothing ever comes of it. It’s mainly a complaint hotline.
Example A lot of the oilfield guys use them. No licenses.
Yes, you legally have to have a license to transmit, anyone can receive.

The inexpensive chinese radios have been a blessing and a curse for the hobby. They get radios out to more people, but their transmission quality is generally terrible.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t been active in radio communications in years, but yes. The licenses were encouraged. I think mainly for registration purposes so that the government would know who was saying anything they didn’t like.

Back in my teens and twenties (years ago) I was active in CB. There was always talk of FCC driving around with tracking equipment issuing citations for people without licenses.

Then there were the tales of people using linear boosters and overriding several channels because their output signal was WAY beyond legal limits that were followed closely with stories of huge fines and seizures of equipment.
Makes sense. We use cb all the time. A lot of idiots on there.
Most government I believe has went with satellite. I have a couple apps that is used for communication and a map app, all can be used with cell service turned off. It’s pretty cool

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, FRS is designed for short range line of sight communication... Think less than 1/2 mile. GMRS is repeater capable and you can talk all over the OKC metro and further area using hand held tuned to the repeater(T-Town has a repeater as well)
5 Watts on GMRS Range in my neighborhood = 1 to 1.5 miles. Wife Indoors, me in my car. Simple handheld Midland GXT1000VP, yup, read the hype.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you legally have to have a license to transmit, anyone can receive.

The inexpensive chinese radios have been a blessing and a curse for the hobby. They get radios out to more people, but their transmission quality is generally terrible.
So what’s the point in the license if they do not pursue it? Same with cb. I didn’t even know you had to have a license for cb.
Seems like the government really worried about long ago and not so much now. How many ppl has actually prosecuted or in trouble for actually using the radios?
These are genuine questions I have.
Seems drivers license are more regulated than ham license.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This brings another question-
If they are only good for that distance why not get a long range walkie-talkie? One that reaches for miles.