Bass were biting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would leave the cat and take out the crappie unless it is a very large pond.

Interestingly enough that is the one and only crappie in that pond that I'm aware of. I put it in there a couple of years ago by itself, at half that size thinking it was going to be food for the bigger fish. I guess it survived.
You are correct though. The ODW says ponds should be 10 acres or larger before stocking crappie. This is a pretty small pond.

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, the bite is finally getting better. My bass are so sluggish in the winter, I have to practically throw it in their mouths. Two days ago I caught three in ten minutes. Can't wait for warmer water!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the bite is finally getting better. My bass are so sluggish in the winter, I have to practically throw it in their mouths. Two days ago I caught three in ten minutes. Can't wait for warmer water!

I had to run that thin fin really slow just under the surface. I could see a little water movement on top. If it got too deep, it was too fast and no bite, so my experience is just like yours.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bites are slow here as well. I had one good day, now I am striking out. I hooked into about a four pound bass today, but he worked his way off. I was getting seldom bites on goldfish. Dead ones no less.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Only problem with catch n release ponds, is, ya need to have a slot limit or the bass will stunt again.

Sure wish i was mobile enough to hit a few ponds. Wont be much longer.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Only problem with catch n release ponds, is, ya need to have a slot limit or the bass will stunt again.

I have a couple of old aluminum bangers that I paid a hundred apiece for. Make for good boats, just rip out the old wood and replace it with new. I put the most attention to detail into the transom. I apply Herculiner along the inside riveted seams, as well as the transom. A boat opens up a whole new world...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Very true. You do have to remove fish on occasion to keep the pond in balance. The blue cat helps with that, but I'm seeing mostly 2 lb fish, so as soon as my buddy gets his 3 acre pond cleaned out, and it gets some water in it, I'll stock it with some perch and crawdads, let them spawn once, and start moving a few from this pond.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very true. You do have to remove fish on occasion to keep the pond in balance. The blue cat helps with that, but I'm seeing mostly 2 lb fish, so as soon as my buddy gets his 3 acre pond cleaned out, and it gets some water in it, I'll stock it with some perch and crawdads, let them spawn once, and start moving a few from this pond.

That's a good way to do it. Of course you can speed things up a bit by introducing fathead minnows.

A friend of mine has an old, but deep pond that was producing bass that weighed nearly a pound. One every cast when they were active. Pond covers a littlw over an acre when full. I asked him three years ago if I could remove some of then. He agreed, and I pulled out nearly 300 of the stunted little devils. Very good eating, though I hated to do it. No place to move them.

Now it's common to catch 'em up to 4 pounds, and the day before gun season started I caught a seven.

Those 80 degree days a couple of weeks ago turned them on. I have a pic of another friend of mine with an eight he pulled out of his pond.

Latest posts

Top Bottom