Bear sightings in Edmond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1662989889961.jpeg

This pic was taken just south of Cuchara a few years ago.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For decades, our family camped in an area from Stonewall, CO up to Cuchara, CO, mostly in Purgatoire River Campground. At least every other year, when we arrived, we would be advised of bear sightings in the area of the campground. Every time, I stayed alert because I wanted to shoot me a bear, but I'd be shooting with a camera. If I saw one, he always ran away before I could get pictures.

They sure are uncooperative photographic subjects. Not at all like the grizzly that we encountered on a bus tour through Denali National Park in 2005.

Last photo is of her digging for a ground squirrel as a snack.
That area, especially around Monument lake is very prone to bear "attacks" especially since they outlawed spring bear hunting many years ago. Recently, I read someone got batted around in their tent in Monument Lake CG a few weeks ago.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know why people get so wound up over black bears. Of course, they can be dangerous. Generally, though, they'll go out of their way to avoid conflicts with humans. I've had numerous encounters with black bears and without fail they ran away as fast as they could.

I lived with black bears for the last 30 years before moving to Oklahoma. They were practically an every night visitor to our house in the summers in Colorado. Yes, they can be dangerous. But you're much more likely to be seriously injured by a dog than a black bear in places where bears are common. As a matter of fact, most noobs to the mountain community would eventually find their way into my gun store looking for a gun suitable for killing bears. I'd usually tell them they shouldn't have moved to the mountains of Colorado if they were scared of bears and recommended they find another place to buy their "bear gun".

We found a dead bear on our property once. I took a metal detector up and located the bullet in what was left of the carcass. It was a .22 LRN. I can't imagine someone so stupid or so thoughtless as to shoot a bear with a .22 and I really hate the thought of the slow, painful death that bear endured. I'd like to have been able to shoot that person with a .22 and then sent him/her out into the woods to die.

F**kin' people...
I used to hunt the Four Corners area going back in the '60's 70's my cousin used to guide back then. We saw a Black bear coming full tilt through camp one evening we estimated it to be at least 550-600lbs. We saw it twice more but it was 700-800 yards away. We tracked it a couple of times over the years with no luck. The only thing missing on that bear was a hump.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to hunt the Four Corners area going back in the '60's 70's my cousin used to guide back then. We saw a Black bear coming full tilt through camp one evening we estimated it to be at least 550-600lbs. We saw it twice more but it was 700-800 yards away. We tracked it a couple of times over the years with no luck. The only thing missing on that bear was a hump.
Why for you want to hump a bear????? :naughty:

Latest posts

Top Bottom