• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Bee keeping basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a bee trap in my back yard that a beekeeper friend put out there to gather another hive for his operation.
That’s as close as I get to bee keeping.

IMG_7061.jpeg

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No one? I figgered there would be some bee guys that have moved on to other hobbies and such
Honestly Amazon has the best deals on these. Should be able to get it all new for around $50. I used a $15 Amazon bee jacket for years, but I do recommend getting a vented one in this climate. Vented start at around $60

https://www.amazon.com/Professional...sprefix=bee+jacket+with+gloves,aps,153&sr=8-3

If you wanna go really low end a tubes suit and a mosquedo veil will work. I dont usually wear gloves outside of harvest season. They make you climaxed which kills more bees which pisses the bees off more as they release a pheromone when they get cruahed.

https://www.amazon.com/Hoqqf-Stainl...580687&sprefix=bee+smoker+kit,aps,192&sr=8-20

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
190   0   0

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
I got a jacket and zippered hood today. Should have ordered a full kit. Guess I’ll have to piece it together now

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Painters 5 in one tool works pretty good for a hive tool. Don't bother getting the bee brush it just makes bees mad. If you want a good smoker you can't beat the dadant 10" smoker. A lot of beeks use nitrile gloves.
Lol they Fn hate the brush. I use it every once in a great wile. Usually to get the left behinds off after.robbing.

I got a jacket and zippered hood today. Should have ordered a full kit. Guess I’ll have to piece it together now
https://www.amazon.com/Blisstime-Be...TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1

This should work. J tool is best bee tool. I use about half the stuff it comes with buy ymmv. J tool, capping scratcher, gloves and smoker are all essential. Frame lifter is nice when you are new. .

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
I actually got a couple long hives for free. So I’m not starting out with a traditional hive. @OKBPS is helping out a bunch. He took one of them and captured a swarm. We just traded hives at that point. Big thanks to him and his wife for their knowledge.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I actually got a couple long hives for free. So I’m not starting out with a traditional hive. @OKBPS is helping out a bunch. He took one of them and captured a swarm. We just traded hives at that point. Big thanks to him and his wife for their knowledge.
Nice
Are they top bar or the long langstroffs?

Latest posts

Top Bottom