• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Bee keeping basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
If it was a swarm, it could have been a secondary swarm with a virgin queen. She would of had to go on her mating flight. Might not of made it back / killed or eaten before making it back. You could purchase a mated queen or try to find someone with a frame of eggs to donate.
Or purchase a nuc and newspaper combine. Several options.
Would buy a mated queen if I can find one. This is a V bottom langstroff. We have another that we would put another swarm in if we catch one. Need eggs, queen or cell before we lose the bees to attrition.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
That was just a couple I found online. There may be more if you search for queen bees for sale in Oklahoma.
Thank you for the leads. Hank at Baker bee farm has been great. He is just as concerned about keeping the hive alive as we are. He’s meeting us on his lunch break tomorrow with a queen.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I guess attrition is what actually happens but most beekeepers usually just say it turned into a laying worker hive due to being queen less. Laying workers can only lay unfertilized eggs (male only) hive eventually dies out since female eggs are what keeps the hive growing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom