Beretta M9/92F: OSA's Opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beretta 92F/M9 is....

• An excellent fighting pistol.

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • A viable option, but not my first choice.

Votes: 60 61.2%
  • A piece of ****.

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I voted 'viable but not first choice' as well. It is a good pistol, and I like it having shot one many years ago. It was my brother's issue pistol for the police as I recall. I liked the ease of field stripping, and its' magazine capacity, but my Glock 19 has the same magazine capacity in a much more compact package, and my Glock is very reliable.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember years ago reading an interview with Bill Wilson in one of the big gun magazines....
They asked him if he couldn't have a 1911 what would his next choice be?

His answer: Beretta 92

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand - loving 1911 is a religion - there is no logic to it or there should be one: I love mine like just like the next guy, and anyone talking bad about it risks a mouth full of steel frame.

With that said, I admit that the service life point is moot ... however capacity and safety isn't:
- GI 1911 just doesn't pass drop test
- 16 pistol rounds is better by large margin than 8 (despite the caliber wars).

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Beretta M9 (Commercial) & have been shooting it quite extensively. I have formed my own opinion... but this gun seems to be more than others... loved or hated. Where do you stand. I don't care either way, i'm just interested.

I've always been of a mind that 9mm is a bit weak compared to other available calibers like .45ACP or .40S&W (and no! I won't stand down range and let anyone shoot at me with one). Add to that tales and rumours out of Iraq that 9mm has a tough time putting an enemy down and 9mm is just a no go for me. My father had two Italian made 92's which I fired on occasion. Not a fan of open slides nor the Beretta DA/SA trigger. As a fighting pistol - see above; 9mm is weak - there's a reason the US Army adopted the 1911 way way back in the day.

I find that no choice in the poll fit. The M9 certainly isn't a POS but for me at least it also isn't a viable option.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Add to that tales and rumours out of Iraq that 9mm has a tough time putting an enemy down and 9mm is just a no go for me.

What? C'mon man, you're an old-timer here. You know better than that. I'm not even going to get into the "9mm is a bit weak compared to other available calibers" comment because its an entire debate that derails this thread, but the above quoted statement is baseless as far as anything I can find (it sounds a lot like the recycled WW-II, Vietnam, etc. arguments that have always been used against 9mm throughout time).

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand - loving 1911 is a religion - there is no logic to it or there should be one: I love mine like just like the next guy, and anyone talking bad about it risks a mouth full of steel frame.

With that said, I admit that the service life point is moot ... however capacity and safety isn't:
- GI 1911 just doesn't pass drop test
- 16 pistol rounds is better by large margin than 8 (despite the caliber wars).

Ive always looked at it more in grains. They have the same load when you think of it. 16 rounds of 115 gr of FMJs or 8 of 230gr FMJ. The 45s double dose doesnt fail.

The 1911 can be rebuilt many times in its service life. The 35000 is when the M9 is trashed, the 20000 is when the 1911A1 is supposed to be rearsneled. Big differance. The M9 doesnt get that opption. I love the 1911 but do not believe it is the do all end all gun. I believe the main reason that it gets brought up so much is because it was THE gun before the M9 replaced it. Im guessing that is why the 1911 platform is looked upon more fondly. Mabey.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yay for caliber war!!!!

You do hear a lot of anecdotal stories where "I wish I had a 45" - but I can tell you one example where the guy wished he didn't -
OKC pharmacy shooting - faster smaller bullet no doubt would've been the end there.
We've done some testing a few years back on a cow skull - 9mm and 22 would penetrate, 45ACP wouldn't: call it luck or call it what it is.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive always looked at it more in grains. They have the same load when you think of it. 16 rounds of 115 gr of FMJs or 8 of 230gr FMJ. The 45s double dose doesnt fail.

The 1911 can be rebuilt many times in its service life. The 35000 is when the M9 is trashed, the 20000 is when the 1911A1 is supposed to be rearsneled. Big differance. The M9 doesnt get that opption. I love the 1911 but do not believe it is the do all end all gun. I believe the main reason that it gets brought up so much is because it was THE gun before the M9 replaced it. Im guessing that is why the 1911 platform is looked upon more fondly. Mabey.

Grain per grain - throwing the whole pistol is sure winner - 14000 grain! :)

#1 killer is placement, more attempts give you more chances for placement: you can't argue your way out of it.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grain per grain - throwing the whole pistol is sure winner - 14000 grain! :)

#1 killer is placement, more attempts give you more chances for placement: you can't argue your way out of it.

Wow we have moved to throwing weapons now. 14000 gr's of love eh. LOL. Sounds like a M9 full of sand.
Not doubt. Shot placement plays a big role for sure. If standing punching paper one should be able to accomplish that without a problem. Shot placement tends to go to crap when there is alot of lead flying. So when you make contact with a not so well placed round what would be more efective?

Now for your average officer 9mm is more than enough in a police role, I guess. It was a step down from 38, 357, or 44 in power but increase in in pay load, its like McDonalds, quantity not quality. Old timers vrs youngens, theres a million oppinions but there is no replacement for displacement.

Im not sure who is going to be fighting cow sculls but if a 9mm went through so will a 38 or a 5.7. Smaller rounds just makes penitration easier on an already much faster round. Thats simple physics. Doesnt make up for terminal balistics. The millitary didnt go to 9mm because it is a better round but because of NATO standardizing ammo calibers with our needy Allies and polotitians playing games.

Latest posts

Top Bottom