Best Tasting Duck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rw1341

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New to duck hunting. Here's my question. What do you concider the best to worst tasting duck, or is there much differnce between the species?

Just had some Teal (chicken fried the breast) and it was GREAT!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Teal eat very well. Divers(redheads, ringnecks, ect.) are usually considered to be low on the "tasty" list. Puddle ducks(mallards, pintails, widgeon, gadwall, etc) rank higher on the "tasty" list. I know one guy who can make goose taste excellent, but it takes him almost a week to prepare it, so I guess some could make anything taste good:)

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Teal eat very well. Divers(redheads, ringnecks, ect.) are usually considered to be low on the "tasty" list. Puddle ducks(mallards, pintails, widgeon, gadwall, etc) rank higher on the "tasty" list. I know one guy who can make goose taste excellent, but it takes him almost a week to prepare it, so I guess some could make anything taste good:)

I would tend to agree with this minus the redhead part. Interestingly enough, many claim those are the best tasting ducks of all. I don't get the chance to kill many of them, but when I do I take good care to pluck every feather and roast them whole. They are a great eating duck!

Most of the time the problem with all waterfowl is people tend to over cook it. That's when it gets the tough gamey flavor that is undesireable. Check out Anthony Bourdain's recipe for cooking wild duck. Suprisingly simple, but it's now my go to. Salt and pepper and saute the breasts in a little olive oil in the skillet. Cook it rare, slice and serve. I was skeptical at first due to the simplicity and lack of ingredients, however I was wrong.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would tend to agree with this minus the redhead part. Interestingly enough, many claim those are the best tasting ducks of all. I don't get the chance to kill many of them, but when I do I take good care to pluck every feather and roast them whole. They are a great eating duck!

Most of the time the problem with all waterfowl is people tend to over cook it. That's when it gets the tough gamey flavor that is undesireable. Check out Anthony Bourdain's recipe for cooking wild duck. Suprisingly simple, but it's now my go to. Salt and pepper and saute the breasts in a little olive oil in the skillet. Cook it rare, slice and serve. I was skeptical at first due to the simplicity and lack of ingredients, however I was wrong.

We sent some redheads home with a guy last year and he said the same.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm partial to mallards and wood ducks. I love the marinated and grilled, damn near better than steak. Overcooked, or not prepared properly and they ain't worth eating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom