I did it, I am officially into predatory hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't justify the price of a thermal just to dust a few dingoes or pigs. I am happy with my ATN night vision scope. With a good secondary IR light you can target out to 75 maybe a 100 with a full moon, but anything beyond that it is too iffy for target recognition and what lies beyond. A much cheaper option.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I would like some clarification from @Jared on this. When it says “with the use of any legal means of take”, is that saying the only legal weapon for coyotes at night is still just a shotgun and #6 shot? Only now you can put a thermal on your shotgun?!?

My brother‘s business is selling night vision and thermals, and he’s selling A BUNCH to Oklahoma guys who are interpreting this that thermals on RIFLES are now legal in OK.

I contacted the game warden in Alfalfa county and didn’t get a response which from past experience (mine and others) wasn’t a surprise.
The new law is addressing agricultural nuisance and damage issues by hogs and coyotes. It has removed the requirement for the depredation permit. Controlling feral swine and coyotes in compliance with this rule is not restricted by method of take. Rifles are legal at night for this. The wording may not be the clearest but its intent is to say that if it's legal for you to possess you can use it. With the exceptions of things such as explosives and poisons.

This law change is only addressing agriculture issues with depredation and nuisances.

The predatory animal/coyote night hunting rules are still the same. If you are just hunting coyotes at night the permit from GW is required and the shotgun restriction is still in effect.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After seeing a lot of coyotes while deer hunting (my brother saw 11 one day), I figured I need to thin out the yotes on my place. That is probably where all the turkeys have gone. I have no idea how to hunt them but just ordered a LuckDuck e-call out of Rogers. I self taught myself to turkey hunt so figure I could do the same with coyotes.

Is this a you have to be there at butt crack early deal or can you hunt them anytime during the day? How far should I expect them to get for shots? Is a .270 too big of a caliber? I was wanting to get them after duck season, is Feb a good month to go? If not, when is best?

Tell me what I need to know. I have not idea what I am doing so any advice would be great.
Just be sure to write a letter that you as the land owner have given permission to you as the control agent to hunt at night for the purpose of depredation control and agricultural nuisance reduction.

I say this half in jest as I knew of a GW who wrote a ticket to a man for fishing for trout out of season. He was fishing in a pond on his own property that he had paid for the trout he stocked in it.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Text was sent and never responded to. I don’t have a thermal right now anyway, so it’s not a huge deal. I would at least expect the guy to answer a “legal” question from a land owner in his county though. :anyone:
With questions, I’ve had pretty good luck by just calling the headquarters in okc.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new law is addressing agricultural nuisance and damage issues by hogs and coyotes. It has removed the requirement for the depredation permit. Controlling feral swine and coyotes in compliance with this rule is not restricted by method of take. Rifles are legal at night for this. The wording may not be the clearest but its intent is to say that if it's legal for you to possess you can use it. With the exceptions of things such as explosives and poisons.

This law change is only addressing agriculture issues with depredation and nuisances.

The predatory animal/coyote night hunting rules are still the same. If you are just hunting coyotes at night the permit from GW is required and the shotgun restriction is still in effect.
This. If you do get an answer, get it in writing.
Thanks to Jared, I’ve got it in writing. If I get a ticket, I’ll be fighting it with him as expert witness. :thumb:

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just be sure to write a letter that you as the land owner have given permission to you as the control agent to hunt at night for the purpose of depredation control and agricultural nuisance reduction.

I say this half in jest as I knew of a GW who wrote a ticket to a man for fishing for trout out of season. He was fishing in a pond on his own property that he had paid for the trout he stocked in it.
Thanks to Jared, I’ve got it in writing. If I get a ticket, I’ll be fighting it with him as expert witness. :thumb:
As long as the landowner has a current agricultural exemption permit issued by Oklahoma Tax Commission, then there “shouldn’t” be an issue.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I considered starting a thread on the Agricultural Exemption Permit relative to my situation. As noted above, the new law includes: "Landowners or agricultural lessees performing nuisance control activities shall be required to have a current agricultural exemption permit issued by the Oklahoma Tax Commission."

I have roughly a quarter section in McIntosh County, I plan to use just for hunting. I'm letting one of my neighbors bale as much of the meadow areas as he can to feed his cattle. In return, he'll mow around the barn and keep the trails clean. Plus, the mowing will help control saplings (Black Locust and Pecan).

Quandary: I'm not going to be making money on the land. I could argue hogs are tearing up the meadows, thus harming land value, and diminishing the hay used as a barter. Could anyone get an agriculture exemption permit with a story like that?

As an out of state resident (or even if I lived there), I'd have to buy a hunting license to help protect neighbors' calves (and regional fawns) from coyotes. For hogs, nothing is required except Feral Hog Night Shooting Exemption and the agriculture exemption permit. I should call the Tax Dept someday to see if I can get some coaching. But, I'd appreciate any I can get from this group :-)

I suppose the chance of getting a ticket for shooting hogs at night on my own land is close to zero, but I want to be legal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom