Bicyclists causing traffic problems in Sand Springs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Access to a rural road during the afternoon commute has some homeowners in Osage County in a dispute with the Tulsa area’s cycling community.

Former world champion cyclist Chris Carlson considers the Tulsa area - and specifically a stretch of Shell Creek Road just north of Sand Springs - crucial for training future stars of his sport.

"There's riders, pretty accomplished riders, that have grown up doing that ride (through that road)," Carlson told 2 News. "At its biggest times, (there are) maybe five, 600 people (riding the route)."

However, if several residents along the road get their way, the hundreds who go on intense "Wednesday Night Rides" will be banned Monday by the Osage County Board of Commissioners from riding Shell Creek Road on weekdays from 4-7 p.m..

One homeowner in favor of the restriction messaged 2 News saying the bicyclists are disrespectful, and mentioned instances of littering, blocking road access on purpose, and even a rider stopping to urinate in public.

Carlson doubts that last complaint, and claims it's rare for riders to leave trash.

"I mean it's not a bunch of hooligans (riding). It's doctors, lawyers, business owners, police officers, firefighters, old and young(people)," Carlson said.

2 News heard from five different people who live near Shell Creek Road April 6 who shared similar stories off-camera.

One angry volunteer firefighter said he worries that he might have to respond to a crash involving riders any day.

Carlson admitted there is some merit to these claims.
He said he's been collaborating with other cycling leaders to lay ground rules and wants to work with law enforcement.

"It does not make me feel good to know I have upset people doing what I love doing," he said. "There are things that the cycling community needs to do in the way of adherence to applicable law, and there's things the sheriff can do to kind of help with it."'

Carlson hopes the Osage County Board of Commissioners don't approve restricting access to the road and that locals give cyclists another chance.
"If you can ban bikes on Shell Creek (Road), you can ban bikes on a lot of roads," he said. "And that just doesn't seem to me to be a good thing."

The board will discuss and potentially vote on the policy on April 8, at 10:00 a.m.

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/sand-springs-residents-claim-cyclists-clog-road-access

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They pass my house pretty regularly.
I don't know about a ban, but I do pick up empty water bottles frequently, and I wish they could be a little more respectful of the 4,000 lb vehicles they want to "share the road" with.
When they come to the intersection at the end of my street they all hold up and wait for the stragglers to catch up. They're typically spread out over the road making it difficult for traffic to make the turn. A big potential for some of my more emotionally unstable neighbors to lose their shat.

Panayoti2

Marksman
Reaction score
I used to live in Martin hills in Sand springs where they cut through to get to hwy 97. Never had any issues. I am somewhat biased as I used to cycle. What I hated were the boy racers in their matching outfits who ride in groups and expect every one to get out of their way. They would yell "bike up" like you were supposed to move over for them.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1712537668685.png

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I personally witnessed a motorist purposefully steer into a bunch of cyclists on Hwy 75A just south of Mounds.
I stopped to lend assistance and called the police. One of the cyclists got the license plate and the police went to the drivers house; he was drunk and was ranting about them dang cyclists using his road. I went to court to give a witness deposition. The driver went to jail.
Fortunately the cyclists only suffered some scrapes and bruises and some bent bikes.
Some motorists are hostile toward pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcyclists.

Last edited:

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been cycling since 1984 and have ridden the routes through the Sand Springs area since that time. This was long before the Wednesday night ride became a popular thing. The folks in that area were fussy then, I guess because they didn’t want to share their road or dan45 is correct and they are unstable. This event has become pretty big and there could be a handful of hundred people on the road…but not all together. Though some of the bunches can have a good number of riders in them. I have very seldom seen folks throw trash and the loss of a water bottle is very rare as they are expensive to just throw them away when they’re empty. Since the Sand Springs town meeting a couple of weeks ago the bike clubs have picked up trash along the Shale Creek road. The last time, this weekend, I understand they picked up right at 200 pounds of trash which included less than 1/2 pound of cyclist type trash.

Latest posts

Top Bottom