Bicyclists causing traffic problems in Sand Springs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes but, they usually obey the traffic laws unlike bike riders. I will say I have seen hundreds of bike riders during my patrol days. I will also say out of these hundreds, only a few stopped at traffic lights and stop signs. They never follow the lane turning rules and often cross catty corner and across pedestrian only walkways never yielding to a true pedestrian. I have worked about 5 veh vs bike deaths. ALL of them were the biker's fault. ALL OF THEM.

I passed a group of six riders on NW Highway out by Surry Hills. I stopped at the red light, they didn't.
My finger might have flown when I passed them again I can't be too sure because I kept my eyes on the road ahead..
I agree there are some riders that aren't terribly wise. Or courteous, for that matter.

Bikes are allowed to cautiously proceed through red lights and stop signs without stopping if it's clear. Changed a few years ago.

If there are cars and pedestrians at the intersection, bikes need to act like a car. One problem with that though is traffic lights that only trip when a car is there won't see a bike and therefore everyone will be sitting there for eternity. That's probably why the law changed and they were allowed to roll them.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree there are some riders that aren't terribly wise. Or courteous, for that matter.

Bikes are allowed to cautiously proceed through red lights and stop signs without stopping if it's clear. Changed a few years ago.

If there are cars and pedestrians at the intersection, bikes need to act like a car. One problem with that though is traffic lights that only trip when a car is there won't see a bike and therefore everyone will be sitting there for eternity. That's probably why the law changed and they were allowed to roll them.
You want to show me this law?

A bicyclist may proceed cautiously though a red light when it is clear that the light is broken or is unable to sense the bicycle. (Title 47 § 11-202)

This BS about running the light just because they can physically do so is not legal.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You want to show me this law?

A bicyclist may proceed cautiously though a red light when it is clear that the light is broken or is unable to sense the bicycle. (Title 47 § 11-202)

This BS about running the light just because they can physically do so is not legal.
Depends on if turning etc, some require a stop first, but this is from Justia.

2023 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
§47-11-202.1. Bicycles – Stops signs and traffic control signals.​

Universal Citation: 47 OK Stat § 11-202.1 (2023)
PreviousNext
A. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Bicycle" means a device as defined in subsection A of Section 1-104 of Title 47 of the Oklahoma Statutes; and
2. "Immediate hazard" means a vehicle approaching a person operating a bicycle at a proximity and rate of speed sufficient to indicate to a reasonably careful person that there is a danger of collision or accident.
B. 1. A person operating a bicycle approaching a stop sign shall:
  • a.slow down,
  • b.if required to avoid an immediate hazard, stop at the stop sign before entering the intersection, and
  • c.cautiously enter the intersection and yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection.
2. If a person operating a bicycle determines there is no immediate hazard, he or she may cautiously make a right or left turn, or proceed through the intersection without stopping at the stop sign.
C. 1. A person operating a bicycle approaching a steady red traffic-control signal shall:
  • a.make a complete stop at the steady red traffic-control signal before entering the intersection, and
  • b.yield the right-of-way to all oncoming traffic that constitutes an immediate hazard during the time that he or she is moving across or within the intersection.
2. If a person operating a bicycle determines there is no immediate hazard, he or she may proceed through the steady red traffic-control signal with caution.
3. A person operating a bicycle may make a:
  • a.right-hand turn at a steady red traffic-control signal without stopping after slowing to a reasonable speed and yielding the right-of-way, if required, to oncoming traffic that constitutes an immediate hazard, or
  • b.left-hand turn onto a one-way street at a steady red traffic-control signal after stopping and yielding to oncoming traffic that constitutes an immediate hazard.
Added by Laws 2021, c. 449, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2021.
PreviousNext
Disclaimer:
These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on if turning etc, some require a stop first, but this is from Justia.

2023 Oklahoma Statutes​

Title 47. Motor Vehicles​

§47-11-202.1. Bicycles – Stops signs and traffic control signals.​

Universal Citation: 47 OK Stat § 11-202.1 (2023)
PreviousNext
A. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Bicycle" means a device as defined in subsection A of Section 1-104 of Title 47 of the Oklahoma Statutes; and
2. "Immediate hazard" means a vehicle approaching a person operating a bicycle at a proximity and rate of speed sufficient to indicate to a reasonably careful person that there is a danger of collision or accident.
B. 1. A person operating a bicycle approaching a stop sign shall:
  • a.slow down,
  • b.if required to avoid an immediate hazard, stop at the stop sign before entering the intersection, and
  • c.cautiously enter the intersection and yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection.
2. If a person operating a bicycle determines there is no immediate hazard, he or she may cautiously make a right or left turn, or proceed through the intersection without stopping at the stop sign.
C. 1. A person operating a bicycle approaching a steady red traffic-control signal shall:
  • a.make a complete stop at the steady red traffic-control signal before entering the intersection, and
  • b.yield the right-of-way to all oncoming traffic that constitutes an immediate hazard during the time that he or she is moving across or within the intersection.
2. If a person operating a bicycle determines there is no immediate hazard, he or she may proceed through the steady red traffic-control signal with caution.
3. A person operating a bicycle may make a:
  • a.right-hand turn at a steady red traffic-control signal without stopping after slowing to a reasonable speed and yielding the right-of-way, if required, to oncoming traffic that constitutes an immediate hazard, or
  • b.left-hand turn onto a one-way street at a steady red traffic-control signal after stopping and yielding to oncoming traffic that constitutes an immediate hazard.
Added by Laws 2021, c. 449, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2021.
PreviousNext
Disclaimer:
These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information.
That is just effing stupid. Rewarding bad behavior because they cannot change it by enforcement. I expect the new laws were lauded by the biking public. I refer back to my years of experience scraping cyclists off the pavement.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is just effing stupid. Rewarding bad behavior because they cannot change it by enforcement. I expect the new laws were lauded by the biking public. I refer back to my years of experience scraping cyclists off the pavement.
Oh, it could be used to be stupid or it could be used to be safer.

One of my fears on a motorcycle is getting rear ended when sitting at a light. More so on bicycle.

Another is what I said above. Lights don't usually trigger with a bicycle. How much animosity you think builds up behind a bike after missing a light a few times?

Latest posts

Top Bottom