Biography: confessions of a drone pilot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Decided to see how high it would go. Got it up about 100', a gust of wind hit it, and off it went, still climbing and out of my control. Shut the controller off, and it still kept climbing, at the mercy of the wind. The last time I saw it, the thing was 50' over our huge hackberry tree, going up and NW.

Don't let it bother you. In one of the Army's early RPV tests at Fort Sill they lost communication. It was supposed to go into a "loiter" (sort of flying in circles) when that happened. Instead it was last seen heading over the horizon in the general direction of Altus. And it cost way more than $20 too.

APeterson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't let it bother you. In one of the Army's early RPV tests at Fort Sill they lost communication. It was supposed to go into a "loiter" (sort of flying in circles) when that happened. Instead it was last seen heading over the horizon in the general direction of Altus. And it cost way more than $20 too.

It actually ended up in a school playground. You see it was set to "Return home" if a loss of communication happened. Unfortunately, 'Home' was still programmed as Afghanistan...

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It actually ended up in a school playground. You see it was set to "Return home" if a loss of communication happened. Unfortunately, 'Home' was still programmed as Afghanistan...

Would've been a good story, but the one I described was way earlier - as I remember it the Soviets were still in Afghanistan at the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom