Bixby Youth Football team raffles pistol to pay for expenses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.a...istol_to_pay_for/20130912_11_A11_CUTLIN879854

A Bixby Youth Football program held a fundraiser that raffled tickets to win a Glock handgun with the proceeds going toward equipment and snacks for the elementary school-age football players.

Officials with the youth league said the raffle was for a gift certificate at a gun shop, and the winner had to go through the appropriate background checks to redeem the gift certificate and receive the weapon.

Dan Rice, the fourth-grade coach who held the raffle for his team, said the raffle was all in the name of making expensive football equipment easier on the parents' bank accounts.

The raffle sold 926 tickets and raised $3,875 for the program, he said.

The gun raffle was more successful than last year's fundraiser which gave the winner a new golf driver, Rice said.

"I've never heard complaints from parents, students - anything. ... I've had people upset with me because I didn't sell them a ticket," he said. "If I could go back and redo it, I probably would have had our team moms make sure that we had a better disclaimer on it."

Rice said the gun raffle was simply to raise more for his team, which is a big part of his life.

"I'm not doing it for anybody but these 20 young men that I coach, and I'm probably one of the only youth football coaches in this entire city that actually has an academic program for his kids, too," he said.

Rice's academic program requires the students to get a form signed by their parents and teacher each week. A report saying they're doing poorly in school cuts into their playing time, he said.

Rice said he got the idea for the gun raffle from other Bixby youth sports programs that in the past have raffled guns to raise money.

The drawing was held Aug. 19, and Rice said the winner went to a local gun shop, underwent a background check and later received the weapon.

The Bixby Youth Football program is not directly associated with Bixby Public Schools other than a working relationship. However, Bixby Public Schools Athletic Director Stephanie Blackwell said the district does not condone the association of student sports programs with guns.

"As a school district, we are trying to keep guns outside the school district," she said. "I'm shocked, but I didn't know anything about it."

Bixby Youth Football President Jason Clark said that once he was notified of the raffle, he contacted several law enforcement agencies to ensure that it was legal.

Clark received several notifications from parents about the raffle but only one complaint, he said.

He said the raffle was allowed to finish, but he does not approve of the concept.

"We can't attach that to youth football," he said. "This will not happen again."

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kids go to bixby and my son played in the youth football program. I would have bought a dozen tickets had I known about this or if they had it when he was younger. Its Better than the constant begging we get for money from the high school program.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Notice how the "suits" want to distance themselves from "evil guns." Disgusting. Are we ever going to let boys be boys and men be men? I think those days are gone for good.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gee, we recently donated a new rifle to the local FFA for their annual auction. OH NOES!

I know the Prague Booster Club has raffled a rifle/shotgun for years.

The suits can wet themselves, but I suspect that (perfectly legal) gun raffles, pound for pound, bring in more money for the schools than any other type of raffle.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can remember guys having shotguns (yes, that is multiple) in the back windshields of their pick-up trucks parked in student parking every day. Trucks were left with the windows down, unlocked. I suspect the shotguns were probably loaded. No telling how many boxes of shells were rolling around in the floorboards of those trucks. A common topic of discussion in the cafeteria was whose land they were gonna go hunting on after school ...

I miss the good old days ... :(

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loads of football teams use gun and ATV raffles, seems like I see a new one at least every month. It's a joke that anyone would have a problem with it, regardless of your personal stance on gun ownership people don't need to try to condemn fund raising that works for these kids. People suck sometimes.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next year I guess they will have to raffle off a dozen colored balloons that can be picked up at Parties R Us. That will bring in the thousands they need:laugh6:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Notice how the "suits" want to distance themselves from "evil guns." Disgusting. Are we ever going to let boys be boys and men be men? I think those days are gone for good.

I hope not. Hopefully people will finally stand up and tell these bedwetters to pound sand. My two boys (especially my 9 year old) aren't sheltered from any of it. Guns, knives, - you name it. That kind of thing is allowed at my house. I think most "normal" folks look at stuff like the hubbub over the raffle, and just roll their eyes.

I can remember guys having shotguns (yes, that is multiple) in the back windshields of their pick-up trucks parked in student parking every day. Trucks were left with the windows down, unlocked. I suspect the shotguns were probably loaded. No telling how many boxes of shells were rolling around in the floorboards of those trucks. A common topic of discussion in the cafeteria was whose land they were gonna go hunting on after school ...

I miss the good old days ... :(

My kids listen in awe when I tell them about the shotguns and rifles in the gun racks of trucks when I was in high school. They even find it hard to believe that we all carried pocket knives, too. I remember guys with cans of snuff in their back pockets; as long as you didn't take a dip, they didn't care. My, how far we have fallen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom