Boeing... Boeing... Gone!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would seem to me that ALLL electrical tape should be non flammable...

I also didnt realize that all those companies were just one big one. How the hell was that allowed to happen

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would seem to me that ALLL electrical tape should be non flammable...

I also didnt realize that all those companies were just one big one. How the hell was that allowed to happen
I've used electrical tape back in the day to seal off exhaust pipe leaks over a beer can. It just set up like shrink tubing, but I'm betting the heat was much higher in this situation.
EDM technology has been around for 40 years?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's basically their point. As they put it early in the video, Boeing used to be an aerospace engineering firm in Seattle that became a defense contractor in Chicago and is now a lobbying firm outside DC.
Still a huge manufacturing presence in Wichita Ks last week when we were at the end of their runway and the employee parking lots were full in the manufacturing hangers.
This facility is aircraft oriented, but don't have a clue about their space ambitions.
I'm sure they, like all government contractors have lobbies in Washington.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used electrical tape back in the day to seal off exhaust pipe leaks over a beer can. It just set up like shrink tubing, but I'm betting the heat was much higher in this situation.
EDM technology has been around for 40 years?
Im a electrical apprentice and thought it would ALLLLL be non flammable.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take this with some salt. Clue #1 is that EDM machining isn't new at all. I saw my first die sinking EDM machine in the'70s and it goes back to the '40s. The concept was actually discovered in the late 1700's but they had no ability to do it. Just because these guys just heard of it doesn't mean it's new.

Also, Boeing does a crapton of business with the .gov. It is absolutely mind blowing at the requirements imposed on .gov contracts on an item of this scale. You don't just build a widget and then go sell it to the .gov. This adds enormous cost and complexity and if you were ever involved you would question why any company would put up with it. The reason is the .gov pays for the research. Elon has built a business and and systems to meet his own requirements and he's brilliantly side stepped a lot of the BS, but the flip side of that is he's assuming the financial risk too. In the end he'll have a rocket working at a much reduced cost of development.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im a electrical apprentice and thought it would ALLLLL be non flammable.
Yes. Why would it not be if involved in electrical work? Maybe they thought being in a space vacuum would negate the heat?
Everything is flammable at one point or another. We see rocks melt in volcano's.
I don't remember my numbers as it's been a "few" years and I've cleared my RAM memory of anything to do with work as I'm retired, but I saw heats with an IR meter that were over 1100 degrees in switch gear.
I've also seen the ceramic or whatever it is in 1000 amp fuses burn in half while the fuse element remains intact and working.
It's all about Ohms law and heat from that formula if one wants to get into it deeper. Bad contact by corrosion or weak fuse holders creates heat on the surface of the fuse. The current through the fuse is just fine if the end caps are secured tightly, so it just keeps running. Scary situation for the electrician though.
I've worked everything from 60,000 Volts to 5 volts DC. You're in a great high paying field that will keep you and your family in a lot of money.
Get through the apprenticeship and your world will open up for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom