BOOM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You saw this picture alot if you were Navy. I had a large print in my office and that was signed by the last commanding officer Moosally, I was kinda pumped about that at the time. After reading a couple of books about the explosion not so much.
boom.jpg

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember being in the Army when Reagan made the decision to bring those battle wagons back into service as part of the 600 ship build up for the Navy. I thought it was really neat at the time , but even back then they were obsolete unknown to me. During the gulf war I know we were told later while we were busy winning the ground campaign the Wisconsin was used to bombard Iraqi positions with those 16 inch rifles and Tomahawks .

I kinda wish we had kept at least one of those big boats in service if for nothing else other than the prestige of having them , still they are as obsolete as anything can be and are incredibly expensive to operate / maintain.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how many light bulbs filaments failed after this salvo? When they fired the 6” gun on my guided missile cruiser the bulbs would fail in the fire room.
I had never heard of this problem but I can certainly imagine why. I was stationed on an MSO and the biggest guns we had were two 50 cal machine guns mounted out side the pilot house on the 01 level...so we never shook the lights out. :)

Last edited:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I kinda wish we had kept at least one of those big boats in service if for nothing else other than the prestige of having them , still they are as obsolete as anything can be and are incredibly expensive to operate / maintain.
I’m with ya on this although me thinks if we can blow……I mean send Ukraine $75,000,000,000.00 we should be able to keep a battleship operational. 😉 Love to see one rolling into port and why? Because we can!

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
but even back then they were obsolete
They were actually well-suited for the job of lobbing Tomahawks because of their huge reserve of buoyancy. It allowed them to carry (and launch) more cruise missiles than anything else the Navy had, with the possible exception of the boomers. Ryan Szimanski, curator of the Battleship New Jersey Museum, covered this in a video on the Battleship's YouTube channel.

The Iowas were basically obsolete for naval warfare, but they were hell on wheels (wait, can you say that about a ship?) for shore bombardment. I think the biggest problems the Iowas had were that they were labor- and cash-intensive to operate, plus they were approaching 60 years old when they were finally stricken from the Naval Vessel Register.

Latest posts

Top Bottom