bowfishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyboy123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i47.photobucket.com_albums_f163_chevyboy123_08DD93E4_463B_471C360cfe0cd12290cddeec30b9445f60b7.jpg

i47.photobucket.com_albums_f163_chevyboy123_0B6EF0D9_8FAA_4F31d600c5b126c264358f61fb7a4bdae1ce.jpg

i47.photobucket.com_albums_f163_chevyboy123_D22B522C_0277_45976fd437aca8a82a2363fccd54dfd11f5a.jpg

Just an example

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Muzzy real seat that got moved to the spare bow (got tired of the jamb nuts working loose). I switched to a F&D Archery reel seat and couldn't be happier, that dude is rock solid.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
all right you guys have me curious. since my son has gotten into archery this last year we have been doing a lot of shooting. my son loves to fish...me not so much... don't get me wrong i enjoy it but i don't mind taking him out and just watching him. so this bowfishing might be something to add a little bit more excitement in the day.
here is what i dug up, so tell me if this is a good beginner setup:

BOW: PSE kingfisher

REEL MOUNT: Cajun Tournament Reel Mount
or
Arrow Precision Frenzy Reel Mount

REEL: Shakespeare TI20

REST: i have an extra biscuit to glue

LINE: not sure

ARROWS/TIPS: not sure opinions on the different shafts...carbon-vs-fibergalss, etc...

I know ALLOUT mentioned to stay away from Cajun but then stated to spend the extra $$ and get something better. i didn't know if that ment a better Cajun model or something else on the market. thats why i looked at the FRENZY also... (similiar priceing?) opinions?

I might be looking at things wrong because i have NO knowledge of bowfishing. ALLOUT states "i strongly suggest Oneida bows" then at the end states "Typically you want as little or no let off on your bow.".... the Oneida bows (bow with red rest area) in the picture shown by ChevyBoy123 looks like the OSPREY model and lists a 50%-80% let off (sweet looking bow BTW)...now i'm confused...to me a 50%-80% seems well above "little to none". i have a BOWTECH LIBERTY VFT (compound) that has 80% let off, am i able to use it? mostly just curious why you want "little to none" on let off. what are the cons of this? that is why i found the PSE to use (its a recurve), BUT if i don't need the PSE bow and can use my BOWTECH, then i'm set with a few minor changes......till deer season...lol.

(i understand having an extra bow would be the right way to go but if i don't take to bow fishing then i'm not out much...right?)

thanks for all the help and defiantly looks like fun!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There's not really a right or wrong to any of it, other than don't settle for a cheap reel. I would search for a while and find a cheapy, low poundage bow just to dedicate to bowfishing. If you guys have a couple moderate to good outings, you'll be hooked and buying a more gear anyway. Carp will be up in the shallows soon by the way:)

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes one good trip is all it takes to get hooked. Then you start building light housings, building decks on the duck boat, buying honda gennys, scouring craigslist for Oneidas daily. That's how it was for me anyway. There is a lot of good info in the bowfishingcountry forums.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes Chevy Boy has an Osprey and a black Eagle. I have a Black Eagle identical his and a Barracuda.
You can get draw mods for the Osprey and BE that are 0% let off, Cudas also 0%. The reason for wanting less letoff is typically for snap shooting, it's just smoother that way. Plus less letoff shoots harder than a bow with more let off.
As far as your setup, the Kingfisher will work great. The Cajun reel seats I was refuring to are the cheapest ones, Cajun makes a good seat (looks just like a Muzzy but black and gold) and I have one on my BE. Frenzy is a good seat as well...
Eveything you me mentioned will work great. Your line.... Get 200lb fastflight for sure

As far as your BowTech....
Any bow will work for bowfishing, the problem is you really don't want more than about 30-40lb of draw weight. Letoff is just a preference, some guys like a lot some like none. But you don't want to be shooting 60-70lbs, you'll just blow through fish and be stuck in the mud all night. Plus you might shoot that thing 300 times in a single outing. That'll get a little rough with a higher lbs bow lol

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I still regret the day I gave away my screaming eagle and phantom........................wasn't into bowfishing at the time though and tired of trying to "tune" them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom