Boy Scouts shut down troop for refusing to banish gay scoutmaster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, it's better than that. The way he phrased it, you don't become a man until you marry and procreate.

I'd love to hear him say that to the faces of a whole lot of people currently serving in the sandbox, and elsewhere. Some of them will never get the chance to be men, according to him.

Yeah, right. In application, literally, that's what I said. I should have been a little clearer....those values were what was acceptable for centuries, a man, a woman, children, devotion to the family.
Kinda like a deer...he's a buck, wants a doe...iffin he don't find a doe, he's still a buck. Unless he swaps sides and becomes a homodoe. Then sheds his antlers and starts runnin' with the spikes.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, right. In application, literally, that's what I said. I should have been a little clearer....those values were what was acceptable for centuries, a man, a woman, children, devotion to the family.
Kinda like a deer...he's a buck, wants a doe...iffin he don't find a doe, he's still a buck. Unless he swaps sides and becomes a homodoe. Then sheds his antlers and starts runnin' with the spikes.

Haha! Almost spit my snuff out on that one!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, let's try this - the Boy Scouts used to have a pretty clear definition of what a "man" was and was supposed to act like. Now that's changing, maybe. It's their organization, let them do what they will, exclude, or include.
Allow your boys to participate if it agrees with your definition. But why use the force of law to shove your ideas down someone's throat?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I regret my remarks in this thread. If I were to delete them it would decontextualize the subsequent remarks of others. Sometimes you just don't know what to do.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, let's try this - the Boy Scouts used to have a pretty clear definition of what a "man" was and was supposed to act like. Now that's changing, maybe. It's their organization, let them do what they will, exclude, or include.
Allow your boys to participate if it agrees with your definition. But why use the force of law to shove your ideas down someone's throat?

While it is there organization, i continue to struggle to understand why being an openly gay scout master (or scout for that matter) impacts the overall mission of what the scouts. What does wanting to love another person of the same sex have to do with learning to start a fire, be a moral person or community service?

Also, it's not just 'the force of law' that has worked towards these changes. Social pressures from within the organization have pushed the organization to change. IIRC Eagle Scouts from around the country returned their medals as protest to the 'no gay scout' stuff a few years ago.

In this particular case, neither the host church nor the scouts involved had an issue with this leader. It was only the organization. The only ones 'shoving ideas down someone's throat' was on the side of the organization.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While it is there organization, i continue to struggle to understand why being an openly gay scout master (or scout for that matter) impacts the overall mission of what the scouts. What does wanting to love another person of the same sex have to do with learning to start a fire, be a moral person or community service?

Also, it's not just 'the force of law' that has worked towards these changes. Social pressures from within the organization have pushed the organization to change. IIRC Eagle Scouts from around the country returned their medals as protest to the 'no gay scout' stuff a few years ago.

In this particular case, neither the host church nor the scouts involved had an issue with this leader. It was only the organization. The only ones 'shoving ideas down someone's throat' was on the side of the organization.

So who is pushing for changes?
Why would you want to be part of something that discriminates? If the organization is screwed up and doesn't suit you, go find another, or start your own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom