Broken Education System

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our education system is broken in so many ways.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/20388131/boys-made-to-clean-rest-room-with-tooth-brushes

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/girl-15-gang-raped-class-suit-article-1.1238721

http://twitchy.com/2013/01/10/time-...last-month-why-is-he-still-allowed-in-school/

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/jerry-sandusky-victim-aaron-fisher-interview-2012-witness-17515854

To me it starts with the administrators. They are basically the "managers" of schools and apparently a lot of them are borderline retarded themselves. How they are entrusted to teach our children escapes me at the moment.

I was thinking that school administrators and teachers should be held criminal responsible for things going on in their classrooms and buildings where it can be demonstrated that the school employee involved was made aware of the incident/event/whatever and did nothing or not enough about it. I think that if we did this it would lessen the rate of school shootings we see. Maybe not in all cases, but in the cases similar to California where students are repeatedly bullied and end up snapping and bringing guns to school.

We as a country need to do something about this lack of school administrator responsibility. All they do is say "Yeah, we should have done more." "Next time, next time will be different." Only it happens all over the country "next time".

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And how long have you worked in the school sysyem?

Granted a lot of admin are goons.

But until you've worked with this great unraised generation of kids maybe you might want to do a little looking at what they have to work with.
Throw on top of that all the laws over the last 50 years that have hamstrung teachers.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense ripnbst, but you have no idea what you're talking about on this matter. Teachers and administrators have no leverage with the kids today and most come in to school way behind due to their environment. My entire family, myself not included, is in the education field and most are administrators. The stories I hear on a weekly basis would blow your mind. The government and parents are the problem. Sure there are some bad teachers and administrators, but parents need to help educate their children and the government needs to let the professionals do their job.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there really laws that hamper teachers abilities to police their own classrooms? And Administrators their buildings? I mean, I know in the public eye one ounce of perceived harshness on student and there is public outcry but are there any legal ramifications? That is what happened in the linked instance of the students cleaning. The teacher punished them, then parents called and complained about the cleaners in the face, then THE TEACHER IS SUSPENDED!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? It was the teachers lapse in judgement to give the children such strong cleaners is probably the administrators reasoning. These kids are in 8th grade, meaning they are somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 years old. They dont know not to spray someone in the face with cleaner? Bull.

I don't know that I am necessarily talking about getting physical with my child, let me know whats going on and I will get as physical with him/her as I think is safe/necessary. I realize that this too could be a part of the problem. Teachers notify parents, then the parents don't do anything, and then teachers say "Oh well, lost cause" and they stop caring. What approach should be taken is if kids continue to be problematic kick them out of school. IMO you then make the student the parent's problem again, not yours. When it's their problem they have to deal with it. It's much easier to just not do anything when they are in school 8 hours a day. When they are at home and your problem/responsibility more will get done about it in most cases I would guess. Not to mention taking that child away from their friends and putting them into another school forcing them to make new ones might be just what they need. or, it will be enough punishment and incentive for them to clean up their act and go back to school with their old friends.

Kids are in school for 8 hrs a day, the way they are made to behave there will have an effect on them.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes there are laws. But I'll not get into them here. Feel free to visit your local school and become informed/involved.

For what it's worth I don't work in the local school systems. I just work with the product. And I've never stopped caring.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense ripnbst, but you have no idea what you're talking about on this matter. Teachers and administrators have no leverage with the kids today and most come in to school way behind due to their environment. My entire family, myself not included, is in the education field and most are administrators. The stories I hear on a weekly basis would blow your mind. The government and parents are the problem. Sure there are some bad teachers and administrators, but parents need to help educate their children and the government needs to let the professionals do their job.

No offense taken. I will admit I don't know more about it than the fact that I went through it, and see what I saw then and today via media and friends with children in the public school system. I have no doubt the stories I would hear would blow my mind. In fact I'd love to hear them sometime as I am sure they are very entertaining.

I think the whole thing needs to be re-evaluated re: the laws in place and the way that we approach "problem students." Nip it in the bud early.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had an uncle that was a little "wild" when he joined the Navy during WWII. He got into bit of trouble, and found himself scrubbing the deck of an aircraft carrier with a toothbrush. I don't know how many square feet he had to scrub, but he never forgot it. Probably kept him from getting into worse trouble.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom