Buying hard liquor in the grocery store in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there anyone on here who would be opposed to repealing this state's liquor laws? I am genuinely curious as to what the rationale for these laws is. It seems like everybody I talk to agrees that they are ridiculous. I haven't heard any sort of cogent argument in favor of them.

There was an article on that very topic in the OCU Law Review an issue or two ago if you're interested.

candrpotts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am an owner and I have to say this is a small cross section of the misinformation that keeps bringing this issue to debates across the state. Do our laws need to be updated? Absolutely but throwing out the entire industry to satisfy the "convenience" arguement won't cut it either. Competition is exactly why we have the tiered system we have now. Do you want the Walmarts or the Costcos of the world to dictate what you drink? That exactly what will happen. Do you want only big chains to carry alcohol? No one to help with wine pairings or talk about the differences in single malt scotches. Your variety is cut to about a dozen major labels that they can flip in a week or two.

In order to accomplish getting booze into the more convenient distributors, the state will need to throw out the entire industry. Literally start over and put a lot of mom & pops out of business as well as 5 major wholesalers. The tiered system is what keeps the playing field level and lets small businesses thrive. Competition isn't a problem. We all buy at the same prices regardless of quantity so controlling your overhead becomes the driving factor in your markup. Without the existing price control, big chains can come in and buy up huge lots and drive prices down below what I can survive. Without the existing wholesalers, I have no where to buy from anyway so I go under in a matter of days. Without the existing rules controlling who gets a license, there's nothing stopping walmart from walking into my store and waving a check at me, buying me out ( I can't compete with their buying strength anyway) and now they control every level of the market.

I'd be glad to discuss this more with anyone. Just pm me with comments or questions. I'm not the preeminent expert by any means but I'll do my best to answer your questions

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent quite a big of time in St. Louis while my wife attended med school and I liked being able to go the the grocer and buy a bottle of cheap wine if I needed it. Very few grocery stores have the selection of the premium liquors and wines like a true liquor store has. And the liquor stores still thrived. Yes, SAMs and Shnooks had cheap Jack in large quantities but they rarely if every carried anything of quality. Although it was nice to get cold beer at anytime of night.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd be okay with them just selling regular (6 point or whatever) beer in grocery stores. My freshman year of college was spent in a Dry county in Arkansas. Some law or other allowed the city to sell 3 liquor licenses for restaurants and such, except The whole town was run by a single southern baptist church (think dirty dancing) and they would hold these huge fundraisers just so they could buy up all the licenses and not use them. Needless to say I left after 1 year, the hypocrisy just became too much.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am an owner and I have to say this is a small cross section of the misinformation that keeps bringing this issue to debates across the state. Do our laws need to be updated? Absolutely but throwing out the entire industry to satisfy the "convenience" arguement won't cut it either. Competition is exactly why we have the tiered system we have now. Do you want the Walmarts or the Costcos of the world to dictate what you drink? That exactly what will happen. Do you want only big chains to carry alcohol? No one to help with wine pairings or talk about the differences in single malt scotches. Your variety is cut to about a dozen major labels that they can flip in a week or two.

In order to accomplish getting booze into the more convenient distributors, the state will need to throw out the entire industry. Literally start over and put a lot of mom & pops out of business as well as 5 major wholesalers. The tiered system is what keeps the playing field level and lets small businesses thrive. Competition isn't a problem. We all buy at the same prices regardless of quantity so controlling your overhead becomes the driving factor in your markup. Without the existing price control, big chains can come in and buy up huge lots and drive prices down below what I can survive. Without the existing wholesalers, I have no where to buy from anyway so I go under in a matter of days. Without the existing rules controlling who gets a license, there's nothing stopping walmart from walking into my store and waving a check at me, buying me out ( I can't compete with their buying strength anyway) and now they control every level of the market.

I'd be glad to discuss this more with anyone. Just pm me with comments or questions. I'm not the preeminent expert by any means but I'll do my best to answer your questions

Like I mentioned above, I saw a post here or on Facebook from who I believe was a liquor store owner and they supported the movement. Perhaps the alcohol industry is completely different than that of tobacco, but Tobacco Exchange seems to be doing well for themselves despite people being able to buy tobacco at Wal Mart. If you want premium goods, you go to the specialty stores. Could this not work the same way with alcohol?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Isn't the Three-tier system really about tax collection?

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I mentioned above, I saw a post here or on Facebook from who I believe was a liquor store owner and they supported the movement. Perhaps the alcohol industry is completely different than that of tobacco, but Tobacco Exchange seems to be doing well for themselves despite people being able to buy tobacco at Wal Mart. If you want premium goods, you go to the specialty stores. Could this not work the same way with alcohol?

It works everywhere else that I've lived.

Latest posts

Top Bottom