Camera Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a complete neophyte when it comes to cameras. I have my first child on the way and would like to get a nice digital camera. I don't necessarily have a budget, but I am of the opinion that just because you own a Ferrari, doesn't make you a racecar driver. There is so much terminology and technical data I don't know where to begin. If I start researching and learning, well that just takes away from me shooting. I am really just looking for a quality camera that also shoots good video (if available).

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Having a budget will help a lot. I'm a big fan of Canon DSLR's but I don't do video. do you want something you can put in your pocket and carry or something to hang around your neck a Jr's recital?

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you want to learn how to use a DSLR properly, you can do quite well with a quality point and shoot. For those, I actually prefer Samsungs or the higher end Canon point and shoots.

FYI, I am pro photographer, if you want to get specific, we can do that.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not get yourself a good top end video camera, then you can take quality video and pictures. Something like the Sony hdr-pj790v.

Price:
$1,598.00

Product Features:
1920x1080 Full HD 24p/60p with 24.1MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor

Project up to 100" videos with 35lm built-in projector

HDMI input terminal projects content from external devices

Up to 37hr 50min recording with 96GB1 embedded Flash Memory

3.0" Xtra Fine LCD display (921K) touch screen

Still Image Size 16:9 : Movie Mode: 24.1 megapixels 16:9 (6544x3680); Photo Mode: 24.1 megapixels 16:9 (6544x3680)

Still Image Size 4:3 : Movie Mode: 18.1 megapixels 4:3 (4912x3680) Photo Mode: 18.1 megapixels 4:3 (4912x3680)

• Lens Type : Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar T llens
  • Lens Stabilization : Balanced Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
  • Aperture : F1.8-F3.4
  • Optical Zoom : 10x
  • Digital Zoom : 120x

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for well under 2000 you could get a good DSLR that will shoot HD video and a couple lenses.

Normally the Kit lens is worthless ( especially indoors ). With a baby as your subject I'd highly recommend a fixed lens to start out with. Look at the Canon T3i kit and like a EF40mm 2.8 lens or EF35 f2. A good cheaper lens to have on hand would be the 50mm 1.8 it can get great close quick shots of momma and the baby.

Whatever setup you pick do yourself a solid and take a into photography class. you wont regret it

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for well under 2000 you could get a good DSLR that will shoot HD video and a couple lenses.

Normally the Kit lens is worthless ( especially indoors ). With a baby as your subject I'd highly recommend a fixed lens to start out with. Look at the Canon T3i kit and like a EF40mm 2.8 lens or EF35 f2. A good cheaper lens to have on hand would be the 50mm 1.8 it can get great close quick shots of momma and the baby.

Whatever setup you pick do yourself a solid and take a into photography class. you wont regret it

3 years ago, I would agree, but Canon is packing a quality Image Stabilized lens in their Rebel kits these days, it is not bad. I used rebel gear for 9 years for magazine work, they are good cameras. I still use a T1i for shop photography, but I have a 5D Mark 3 and L glass for clean work.

If you have the budget, which it sounds like you do, I would go for Canon 6D in the kit form. That comes with a nice L-series lens (the best type of lens Canon makes) and it has a bunch of really cool features. 6D can shoot incredible video. I almost bought the 6D until I found the 5D M3 at the price I did.

Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you look for a quality shot in a camera, megapixels don't matter. You can have a billion megapixels and still shoot crap images. Look for the larger sensor sizes.

http://www.gizmag.com/camera-sensor-size-guide/26684/

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7603_7-6241014-3.html

Nikon has an excellent range of affordable quality. Canon has my favorite lenses for my type of photography, but the prices are full ridiculous.

My go-to's have always been something out of the Lumix line of Panasonic. FZ200 for everyday packer, shoots great 1080, lacks in low light. For the serious shooting, I bust out the G5. Stunning colors (sometimes a little warm, but you can menu through better temps), awesome detail, affordable. You can score both, with additional lenses/SD's/accessories for less than $2k. They aren't end all/be all, but they're great all arounds.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3 years ago, I would agree, but Canon is packing a quality Image Stabilized lens in their Rebel kits these days, it is not bad. I used rebel gear for 9 years for magazine work, they are good cameras. I still use a T1i for shop photography, but I have a 5D Mark 3 and L glass for clean work.

If you have the budget, which it sounds like you do, I would go for Canon 6D in the kit form. That comes with a nice L-series lens (the best type of lens Canon makes) and it has a bunch of really cool features. 6D can shoot incredible video. I almost bought the 6D until I found the 5D M3 at the price I did.

Yea, your probably right. I see that they ship with a newer type 2 lens

They are worth having and do well on trips to the park but I'd like to gather a little more light for indoor pictures then the f3.5 can collect and that is if the operator does not go zoom crazy like new SLR users often do which could limit them to a f 5+

I'd love to have a MK3 but as it stands I know just enough about photography to get myself into trouble and I'm sure one of the kids would find it and turn it into a bath toy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom