Car Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To check for a bad battery connection use a volt meter set on DC putting one probe on the post an the other on the cable. If any voltage registers, its a bad connection between cable and post. If the meter registers O, the connection is good.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old MR2 does that when the ground cable to the battery isn't connected well enough. Sometimes, it also shoots spark from the battery too. Old Toyos eat batteries for breakfast. I've learned the hard way to leave a trickle charger on it. Otherwise, inside a week (sitting in the garage), the battery will be dead.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old MR2 does that when the ground cable to the battery isn't connected well enough. Sometimes, it also shoots spark from the battery too. Old Toyos eat batteries for breakfast. I've learned the hard way to leave a trickle charger on it. Otherwise, inside a week (sitting in the garage), the battery will be dead.

HMMMM I've had a Tacoma 4X4 since 95. It can sit for a week and have no battery issues. I suspect you have other issues?

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HMMMM I've had a Tacoma 4X4 since 95. It can sit for a week and have no battery issues. I suspect you have other issues?

Real good chance of that. It has an aftermarket alarm and turbo timer. I didn't install either, so the possibility of wiring problems is pretty fair. Also, I had to have the ECU rewired because for some reason, Toyota thought it would be a good idea to run the ground wire for the ECU underneath the rain guard over the engine compartment. It turned green and disintegrated. Luckily, I knew a guy who had encountered the problem before.

However, my Dad's '92 truck is bone stock and it will need a jump after a week or so. Even with an Optima red top under the hood.

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Possibility one: Bad connection. Inspect cable ends for damage and corrosion, replace if necessary. Clean cable ends and posts with a wire brush.
Possibility two: Just because the $8.13/hr. counter guy reads 12V on your battery, doesn't mean it's good. At no load, (just sitting there) the battery should read over 12.4V. If it doesn't, replace it. Don't buy your batteries at Autozone. Buy a good battery at Interstate or a similar battery shop.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Real good chance of that. It has an aftermarket alarm and turbo timer. I didn't install either, so the possibility of wiring problems is pretty fair. Also, I had to have the ECU rewired because for some reason, Toyota thought it would be a good idea to run the ground wire for the ECU underneath the rain guard over the engine compartment. It turned green and disintegrated. Luckily, I knew a guy who had encountered the problem before.

However, my Dad's '92 truck is bone stock and it will need a jump after a week or so. Even with an Optima red top under the hood.

That's interesting you have two vehicles with that issue.

MisterGrubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That, sir, is what we call a parasitic drain in your electrical system. Some part of your system is hard-wired to constantly have power.

Latest posts

Top Bottom