Carpet removal aluminum deck pontoon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my work cut out for myself.
This is a 1996 21 foot Tracker and the owner stopped on this project many many years ago and let it die in a field.
Rock Moss has grown on the gauges and steering wheel.

The old glue and much of the black rubber carpet backing are stuck to the deck very well.

I tried solvents, oils and acid to try to remove it easily.
Nothing bothers to remove it and it could be the rubber coating that can't be eaten through.

Critters made home in the center console which was the only piece of furniture made of wood .
The rest was hard plastic.

So far scraping and even sanding with grinders and sand paper 24-36 grit and concrete leveler stones does not do much as everything wants to load up with glue or rubber.

My buddy said maybe you need to take a match to it.

AAAAHHHHHAAAAA.

I did just that after pouring gasoline on a 1 square foot area.
After the fire went out I got my scraper and the glue softened enough to allow me to scrape it right up .

I will admit it does not work on all of the spots though.
I found an 8" stiff wire wheel on an angle grinder removes the hard stuff and rubber coated glue the best.
Then you just have a tiny film to get rid of.
I may not even rid it of that film. Just rough it up so the next glue and carpet can grab and stay.

I will rebuild the console from plastics.
I have thought of total deck prep so i could paint on some gator hyde or other non slip paint but I read a review that turned me back to carpet.

The poster stated when the non slip coating was wet it was slippery and his feet shot out from under him 2 times.

Well this boat will be wet 90% of the time and in that 90% time frame catfish slime and shat slime will most likely be on the floor just like all my boats before this one.

Would really suck being tossed to the ground from slipping on what I thought was a great idea.

Anyone have any experience with projects like this or preference for flooring for catfishing boat?

001.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I researched coatings and the above stuff and you must sand the entire aluminum surface with 40 grit and then prime it with zinc chromemate primer and then apply the Durabak within the 1/3 of the flash time for paint coating after primer.

I read some of the roughness is not shoe friendly for some folks.
Yea that is ok as they and many others have smoother texture.
2 coats recommended to keep the stuff from being transparent though you may need 3 coats.

At 2 coats you get 60 feet square per gallon I have 168 square feet or surface.
$420 for the coating and about $150 for good primer and I am in no way sanding all those little cracks in that aluminum floor to be able to get complete stickage from this stuff or any floor coating.
I am not that enthusiastic for a fishing boat to look like a jewel.
The clean up for this textured stuff mentioned soap and water and a scrub brush

The real issue is this is a fishing boat and I will be on my bare knees most of the time filleting bait and cleaning fish.
Soft would be better.

Yea I do not use a platform I always sit on the ground to fix or do things.
Right at 110 for carpet then the price for glue.

I want to keep this on the less expensive side because it is a test project.
See if it is better all around than my other pontoon boat.
I have to buy material and get some foam etc to reupholster the seats and other stuff, so mo money.

Paid 1K for the boat and bought carpet and made new bunk boards. I had the wood.
Bought load range F tires and so I have $250 more in this so far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom