Challenge Accepted. We need common sense and compromise on gun violence.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimB

Marksman
Reaction score
I've lurked on this forum ever since my Grandfather passed his old 1911 to me and I needed some info on it. Ive watched the paranoia build around here in the last few months, and frankly, as a gun owner I'm embarrassed by the extreme attitudes here about universal background checks, assault weapons and high capacity magazines. Our country was founded on common sense and compromise. We are facing an epidemic of gun violence in this country and I believe its time for some common sense action and compromise.

Now, before yall crucify me as some kinda gun grabbing liberal hippie from Kommiefornia. I'm an Okie through and through, I'm a member of a local church, registered Republican, I hunt and have been shooting since I was a kid. I'm also passing this tradition on to my son. Hell, I'm probably somebody here's neighbor and coworker.

Here's what I don't understand:

Opposition to Universal Background Checks.
I think everyone agrees that violent felons and the mentally unstable should not be allowed to purchase firearms. So why the opposition to univeral background checks? Any gangbanger, lunatic or digruntled husband/wife/coworker with a criminal history can go to a private seller and "lie and buy". It happens at gunshows, it happens on armslist and it probably happens HERE. The Brady campaign just sued armslist because a person who would have failed a simple NICS call in was able to buy a pistol and used it in a murder. This is basic stuff, call it a loophole, call it what you want but UBCs would have saved that life. If your're a law abiding citizen able to buy a firearm why do you care about a 2 minute background check? UBCs WILL SAVE LIVES, be it from suicide or murder. This isn't a "compromise" or "infringement" this is just common sense. If you don't want the insane and criminal to have guns the first step is to NOT LET THEM BUY THEM! Close the private sale loophole. I'll pay an FFL the $20 or whatever for a transfer to be able to sleep better at night that the person I sold my gun to isn't a felon or insane.

High Capacity Magazine Ban.
This is a compromise we can all live with. The supreme court has already ruled that the second amendment is not unlimited. We don't get fighter jets and machine guns. I think we also don't need 100 round drum mags and 30 round handgun magazines. 7+1 in .45 was good enough for my Grandfather and its good enough for me...multiple threats you say? I know how to reload. Let's face it huge capacity mags don't make anyone any safer. They just make it easier for the occasional mass shooter to rack up a higher kill count. While somewhat rare, these events are becoming more common and the bodycounts are getting bigger. I can't help but draw these obvious conclusion that there is a correlation between the ever larger body counts and AWB/high cap ban expiring. When Columbine shooting occurred high cap mags were banned and Dylan and Eric used 10 round mags in their Hipoint carbine. How much worse would columbine have been if they had carried the same number of 30 round mags? 300% worse by my math...

I also don't get the fear about an AWB we all lived through the last one, and people who wanted assault weapons could still buy the "preban" guns. So what's the big deal? I get it, you like your Patriot Rifle and don't want to give it up. However, NO ONE IS GONNA TAKE YOUR AR15 OR AK AWAY! Again, common sense, there are already plenty of assault weapons out there for the people who want them. We don't need any more new military style weapons flooding our (and mexicos) streets. Do you really think your "patriot Rifle" will do you one bit of good against a tyranical government when they can put a drone/missile through your window from two states away? Get real.

It's time for the gun community to follow in the steps of our founding fathers and embrace common sense and compromise.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One question. Just one. Please show me where in the founding documents of this nation that we find that our founding fathers were shown to "embrace common sense and compromise". Show me that.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's start out simple.

There are to the best of my knowledge 20,000+ gun laws on the books. Criminals by definition don't obey laws. More laws won't make us any safer. However, more laws that disarm law abiding citizens, make it more difficult for them to acquire arms, and limit their ability to use them effectively will make the law abiding citizens who obey them less safe when confronted by criminals who don't, won't and never will obey the laws currently on the books. For proof check out violent crime stats in the UK. I won't do the research for you - you'll have a better chance of believing it if you do the research.

NO ONE IS GONNA TAKE YOUR AR15 OR AK AWAY!

Really? Have you read the text of Feinsteins AWB - that is exactly what she and those like her want to do. If she can't do it now she'll keep trying until she succeeds. Oh - and by the way - they're taking them away in CA right now.

I'm tired so I'll just leave with this. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A sixth grader knows what that means. It takes a lawyer with an agenda and no conscience to twist it in a way that makes it so that there are 20,000+ laws on the books that mostly do just that - infringe.

Aside: I'm not that articulate so I can't wait for some of our more legally knowledgeable members like JB, Veggie Meat and Henschman to weigh in on this one.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Opposition to Universal Background Checks.
How do plan on getting criminals to do this?

2.High Capacity Magazine Ban.
My Ar15 came with standard 30 rd mags. Not hi-caps.
My Glock came with standard 17 rd mags.

3.NO ONE IS GONNA TAKE YOUR AR15 OR AK AWAY!
[video=youtube_share;WQeq6ZzEQGA]http://youtu.be/WQeq6ZzEQGA[/video]

TimB

Marksman
Reaction score
One question. Just one. Please show me where in the founding documents of this nation that we find that our founding fathers were shown to "embrace common sense and compromise". Show me that.

OK that one is easy.

The Great Compromise.

That was one...
The 3/5th Compromise.

That was two.

The Commerce Compromise on Tarrifs.

Three...

Executive Elections Compromise (where the electoral college comes from)

Should I keep going or do you remember your history now?

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in·fringe /inˈfrinj/
Verb
Actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.): "infringe a copyright".
Act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on: "infringe on his privacy"

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be limited, undermined, or encroached on."

The second amendment IS unlimited, by definition. Besides that, the founders believed it was a fundamental natural right, not granted by the government, but either protected or denied. The 2A's entire purpose was to ensure that the government didn't have a monopoly on power and to serve as a last recourse against tyranny. All current gun control laws are unconstitutional, immoral, and should be repealed. You want gun control? Repeal the second amendment. Good luck getting 3/4 of the states to agree to that.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's illegal to buy beer under the age of 21.....i sure found a way to get plenty of it before I was 21. Making background checks required wont keep the criminals from buying guns either. It already doesn't keep them from buying them.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7+1 in .45 was good enough for my Grandfather and its good enough for me...multiple threats you say? I know how to reload. Let's face it huge capacity mags don't make anyone any safer.

Why does our military need 30 round mags? 5 rounds were good enough in my grandfather's military.

Latest posts

Top Bottom