Clips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
1677090918938.png

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
They are called magazines, not clips. When did they start calling them clips? Is that a Hollywood invention? I don't know why that rubs me the wrong way, it just does.
Your title just says "Clips". Clips are not magazines. Clips have been called clips since they were invented over forever ago. Before the detachable magazine, magazines were not called clips either. Clips are used to store ammunition to be made ready and then used to load that ammunition into a magazine, whereas magazines are used to store ammunition and feed them into the weapon's action (can be dual duty) Assuming we're looking at internal and detachable magazines the same way.

Like @OK Corgi Rancher said, an M1 takes a clip of ammo, and is entirely inserted into the magazine. It's actually a hybrid - an enbloc clip of ammo, inserted into the magazine cavity in a rifle (ammo isn't stripped from the clip into the mag like normal), the rifle has a spring and follower but the enbloc clip holds the ammo in a feeding config and has feed lips and together function as a unit (enbloc). That is where I think it came from.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
And some call chili with beans bean soup..... What ever trips your trigger I don't care. Call it a clip, I know what ya meant and have real issues to ponder like deer season next year, Turkey season PDQ and lets not forget drooling over the next weapon I am wanting ........... So many things that matter and .... clips/magazines ain't one of em well unless you are at the range and your ammo holding thingymajigger is empty! 😎

Latest posts

Top Bottom