Clips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when you are a kid and hear both words used to describe device to accumulate rounds for firearm. but which word when? oh wait... that old rem 22 in stoeger says... tu bu lar mag a zine.
ok theres one usage. so when os it a clip???
hmmm re vol vers have a cyl in der.
damn grownups and big words.
i finally got it but theres bigger stuff to worry about. like pickin up pop bottles to get ammo for that semi 22.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As you can see, the difference between magazines and clips is quite clear. A clip is used to load a magazine, and a magazine feeds ammunition into the chamber.

But, if you won’t be able to remember all of this for the future, here is a helpful trick to remember clip vs. magazine.

Think about these two terms outside of their firearms context.

What is a clip? A short sequence of TV or radio. Or perhaps a newspaper of magazine clipping. A clip is something small. Smaller than—say—a magazine.

What is a magazine? A magazine is a full publication, sometimes 100 or more pages.

If you can remember the difference between a magazine and a magazine clipping, you can remember the difference between a clip and a magazine.

A clip is a small device that usually holds no more than 10 rounds that is used to load a larger magazine. Magazines can carry up to 100 or more rounds, just like the pages in a magazine publication.

Summary​

Is it magazine or clip? If military history is one of your favorite subjects, you may already know the difference between these two terms, but there are a lot of writers who aren’t so sure.

Here’s a summary of what you need to know,

• A clip is a device used to load a magazine.
  • A magazine is a device or holding area where ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.
    4799DC72-1584-486E-8E06-AFF338352A06.png

7A410174-01AF-4EE5-9996-8D467985DD11.png

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are called magazines, not clips. When did they start calling them clips? Is that a Hollywood invention? I don't know why that rubs me the wrong way, it just does.
I quit letting these little things bother me. If they call them clips or magazines I know what they are talking about. Best save your irritation for things that really matter.

Last edited:

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably Hollywood, then after the military it could only be called a magazine.
Some I suppose have learned their proper nomenclature of magazine unless specifically called a clip.

If someone using the wrong word bothers you, I salute you, clearly your plate is empty of **** to actually gaf about lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom