Coburn vs. Sotomayor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckels59h

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a battle of wits between GOP Sen. Tom Coburn, one of the most conservative senators, and the nominee. Who won? Tell us: @reply us on @AP_Courtside on Twitter.

Here's a capsule: Coburn, a strong advocate of individual gun ownership, found an intriguing way to question Sotomayor on that issue. First, he asked her how she could consider that the right to privacy (not mentioned in the Constitution) is settled law but the right to keep and bear arms (the Second Amendment) as unsettled.

Sotomayor started with her usual answer that judges don't make law. And she noted that the federal government and many states have laws restricting guns, such as possession of firearms by felons. Then the sparing got more interesting.

"Do I have a right to personal self-defense?" Coburn asked.

Sotomayor: "That's an abstract question."

Coburn: "That's what the public wants to know. Yes or no? Do we have that right?"

The judge thought for a moment, then came up with an answer based on her experience as a New York City prosecutor: "If there's a threat of serious injury you can use force. How imminent is the threat? If the threat is in this room and I go home get a gun and come back and shoot you, that may not be legal under New York law."

Coburn: "What the American people want to see is what your gut says."

Sotomayor said that's not how judges decide cases.

-Larry Margasak, AP reporter, Congress

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl699

Yojinbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But she said previously that judges decide cases based on their experiences and views.

She flip flops as bad as Obama did early in his campaign.

That all worked pretty good for Obama. She's shifty and she know that she dosn't have to "succeed" to get the nomination of the Dems, she just has to not totally blow it.

Reaction score
I thought she was in intellectual. Her response that if you go home and get a gun and come back and shoot someone is not self-defense suggests an intellectual lightweight, as that is patently obvious, and has nothing to do with the right of self-defense and the RKBA because well, that's not self-defense. She's either really stupid or stupid-crazy like a fox.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought she was in intellectual. Her response that if you go home and get a gun and come back and shoot someone is not self-defense suggests an intellectual lightweight, as that is patently obvious, and has nothing to do with the right of self-defense and the RKBA because well, that's not self-defense. She's either really stupid or stupid-crazy like a fox.

Par for the course if you ask me. I listened to some of her answers regarding her stance (which she never did explain because as she put it "the president never asked her how she felt about abortion") on abortion. I am not real sure how people like her sleep at night. :uhh:

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As weak as I viewed that answer, it was the only one she could give that didn't totally alienate the left AND no exactly pi$$ off the right......kinda like a politician, she did not answer the question as asked, which to me indicates her opinion REALLY was: "No, you silly redneck. You do NOT have the right to have arms with which to defend yourself.....sheesh!" (Just how I took it.......gotta go put some sun screen on my neck, it keeps giving me away!:hithead:)

omegis13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He did wonderfully during that exchange, but she left a considerable opening up when she answered "Is there a constitutional right to self-defense? And I can't think of one. I could be wrong, but I can't think of one."

I didn't think Dr. Coburn took every benefit from this opening, so I wrote him a polite, but strongly worded letter letting him know so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom