Connected last night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I went to go pick up my kids from school. She and my son have not been feeling well, but she was begging to go deer hunting. I told her that it would have to be up to her Mom because I had already hunted the evening before. Mom said it was OK, but she had to do all her homework before we could leave. She was a machine. She got through her homework in no time and we loaded up and headed out. My son, age 6 just was not up to it so he stayed home. I had placed a 2-man ladder stand just last week and this was the second time we had sat in that stand. Mind you, this is the second time I have taken her deer hunting.

We were sitting on the stand by 5:45 and ready for anything. We had a field rat rustling the leaves under our stand for a a while...at first we thought there was a deer coming. A little later we saw a small doe working across the field from us about 250 yards and we were hopeful she would come our way. We lost sight of her and light was beginning to fade. I told my little girl that this was the time that things really start happening. Right before dark just seems to get the deer moving. At around 6:50 I told her to start scanning the treeline to see if we could see anything. Well, coming right across the field of tall grass we catch sight of that doe we had seen a little earlier. I started to raise my gun for a shot when we both saw something come out of the thicket 100 yards out front. Nice 8 pointer steps out and is looking at the doe. I sqeezed off a shot....BOOM...fire and smoke. When the smoke cleared we did not see the buck anymore. I told my little girl to keep your eye on that spot and tell me if you see anything move. I quickly reloaded just in case. Still no movement so we gathered up all our stuff and climbed down. We walked over to where we last saw him......and there he was. Dropped right in his tracks!!! We both gave and holler and high 5'ed each other. Then the work started. She was right there for all of it. At 9 years old, she was very interested in everything I was doing, what was coming out of there deer, and why I was doing it. We had to wait till we got home for hero shots, as I fogot my camera in the haste to get out the door.

She is convenienced that she is my good luck charm and that she was the reason we shot this deer....You know what, I have to agree and can't wait to get out in the field again with both my kids!! Since this was the first deer she saw get killed, he's going on the wall so we can always remember this hunt!!

Here she is with the deer as soon as we got home
[Broken External Image]
Close up...sorry a little fuzzy
[Broken External Image]
Smiles all around
[Broken External Image]
All capped out and ready for the taxidermist
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom