Life Alert, Help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope she recovers soon. I don’t have any idea on life alert, but I know how it is to break a hip. Had a total replacement. Nobody wants that. I fell off a ladder and had hell. I’m 52. It was about a year ago. I still don’t even go to the bathroom without my phone. Good wishes for your mom. You only get one as you know.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may be at the crossroads of having to make a much bigger decision. All these alarms are good, but they won't keep your mom from falling, and if she falls, she may break a hip, and that could put her in a nursing home. Maybe time to start thinking about assisted living, that is 100% better than a nursing home. Talk to her GP. But it would not hurt to get out and shop for an assisted living facility, just for an ace in the hole. At her point in life, things can happen very quickly. Get your paper work in order, and get a DNR, and know how your mom feels about that, talk to her GP about how he feels about withholding medication. Sorry to get so serious, but the road ahead won't be easy, I wish luck, and prayers to you.
No, don’t be sorry. Thanks for this advice. These are some things I haven’t thought about. Again, Thanks!

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The same exact thing happen to my mother. She fell and broke her femur, the neighbor heard her scream and called 911. That was when she was 80, regrettably she is not longer with us. Is nice to have good neighbors that will look out for each other.
Absolutely, My mom just turned 79. I hope I have another good 10 years with her but you can’t always count on tomorrow. We try to make every day count while she is here with us.

Support Dev

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Administrator Supporter
Reaction score
My Mom had Life alert the last couple of years of her life, and my aunt has it now. It has been a good peace of mind tool for both of them. Recently during the At&T and other cell phone outages, Aunt tested her LifeAlert and it was still working.

DDriller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My MIL had one before moving into an assisted living facility. They work great and if a fall happens or the button is pushed 911 is called and then anyone on their list is also called.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my 87 yr old mom has something similar to life alert, but a different brand. She has a wrist alert button she can wear and push, a fall alert necklace that supposed to sense a fall, a button in the shower, and the main gps/cell call unit that she can take with her when leaving the house. The other devices mentioned only work in the house when in proximity to the main gps/cell unit

We do a monthly self test of the main gps/cell device to verify it's working. Luckily she has not had to activate it.

It came with a lock box like realtors use that has her house keys in it so when the company alerts 911 they give the first responders the code to the lock box where the keys are so they can enter the house without busting through the door and doing damage because of the door being locked.

Jeff Rasberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As some of you know, my mom fell and broke her femur in September. Since she has been down with the broken leg, she has been in and out of the hospital and rehab for the past 5 months with pneumonia, low potassium, a fib, you name it she has had it. I think once her body couldn’t move and do her day to day things, it just started to break down. She has been living with my brother at his house in Edmond.
BUT…..she is doing much better now and we are taking her with us to Grand Lake where her house is. We are hopeful that she will be able to go back home permantely in the next few weeks.
I am thinking that she needs a Life Alert or some type of monitoring device that she can wear around her neck in case she falls again. Luckily some neighbors heard her scream when she fell and broke her leg and they called 911 immediately. I am worried that she may not be as lucky next time.

Anyone have any experience with these devices? I googled them and there are tons of companies that offer this service but don’t really know the difference from one to the other.

Thanks for any help on this.
You might check with her local EMS services they might have some insight on which one works the best in her area

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely recommend life alert. We had one on my grandfather and a couple panic buttons around the house. Peace of mind worth the money for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom