Coyote Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR-SHOOTER29

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to coyote and other varmint hunting. I am looking for good info on places to hunt and any type of other info you may have to offer like hand calls or E-calls, decoys or not things like that. anything helps thanks in advance.

rickmenefee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Learn to track coyotes. Figure out where they live and are laying. always whatch the wind. When your going in to call whatch how you get in and out dont walk the high ridges and expose yourself. Dont get caught up in decoys and all the diff calls most of it is crap. Buy a good open reed call such as a tally-ho
I am new to coyote and other varmint hunting. I am looking for good info on places to hunt and any type of other info you may have to offer like hand calls or E-calls, decoys or not things like that. anything helps thanks in advance.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great advice so far. Coyotes don't want anything to do with people so you can't let them know you are there. Park your vehicle where it can't be seen by the coyotes coming to the call. Best to arrive early before sunrise and silently enter your calling position downwind of where you anticipate the coyotes are. Coyotes prefer to approach downwind of their prey so I like to be downwind or crosswind of where I think they will come from.

Get your decoy or feather tied to fishing string so it will swing in the breeze to get their attention off you. I'll be enveloped in appropriate camo so nothing stands out (always wear camo face mask & gloves) and in front of brush which also breaks up my outline. Rifle at the ready on my shooting stick. Everything I do now is in S L O W motion. Eyes move but if your head must be moved it is ever so slowly. When you spot the coyote his actions will dictate how fast or whether to move at all.

I use a Johnny Stewart Preymaster (with a remote control for the speaker) and the speaker is camoflauged & next to my decoy. I also carry & use mouth calls. My calling starts off low for the first few minutes then increases if nothing comes in.

I stay put in one spot for 1/2 an hour and then stillhunt to another location at least 1/2 a mile away. Good luck and enjoy every minute of your hunting.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What has worked for me might not work for you and might not work for me next time.

The best way to "learn" is to get out there and learn yourself. I put plenty of fur on the ground every year but it's because I go hunt A LOT. Reading books and watching dvd's will only go so far, about as far as you can throw them. First hand experience is the key.

JMO, YMMV, ect.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wind direction is probably the the you need to be most aware of. If they get your wind or cut your track where you walked in it's over. Keep it simple as possible. I don't use a decoy on coyotes. If you do it will cost you some in the long run. Don't get hung up on the sounds unless it's a coyote vocalization. Use the wrong vocalization at the wrong time of year and you will run off more coyotes than you will see. Your best bet would be to hunt with someone that knows what they're doing and learn from them. I do occasionally take someone with me if you're interested. I think I'm decent at calling coyotes but prefer bobcats if I have a choice.

You got a specific question ask away.

Scott

Latest posts

Top Bottom