Cracked casing on .223 Rem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my new AR to the range today, and it overall did great. However, one ejected round had a disturbing crack through the casing. I don't know if it was there before I shot the round or not.

223 crack.jpg

(Federal 223, 55grain FMJ, Walmart value pack)

Opinions? Could this have been there before firing? Was it just a defect in the casing, or might there be an issue with my AR?

BTW, I went through all the other spent rounds and the remainder in the box. No other cracks, but one sizable dent in an unfired round.

Thanks.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was probably a 'trash' defect within the brass itself or an embrittlement fracture. I wouldn't be too concerned considering it spilt along the axis of the case. It's not an issue with your rifle.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was probably a 'trash' defect within the brass itself or an embrittlement fracture. I wouldn't be too concerned considering it spilt along the axis of the case. It's not an issue with your rifle.

Agreed. I have seen this quite a bit with Chinese brass, but not very much with factory American loads.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the other post that there's nothing wrong with your rifle. Particularly since none of the other brass show any sign of pressure issues. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom