Cruise ships.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love boats and have spent a large part of my life on the water. However, being packed like sardines in a can doesn't sound like my idea of a fun time.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I know nothing about ships but....wow the center of gravity on cruise ships looks way too high.
Disease spread potential also looks too high: novovirus has spread through several of them like wildfire.
The Engineering Tour is not cheap but you get to go into the engine room and they explain how the computerized ballast system works. I was fascinated by the technology.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Addition to above post:

Out of all the cruised we have been on, we have never had really bad weather. Bad enough to really rock the ship.
We have a cruise scheduled this November and another one scheduled in February. Fingers crossed that never happens. Lol
We were on one of the smaller boats for a quick 3 or 4 day cruise in February once. The Caribbean is windy during the winter. We felt the boat moving quite a bit. The bigger boats don’t have a problem in the wind.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We talked my brother and SIL into going with us about 6 years ago. After a couple days of complete relaxation, my brother looks at me and said ‘ok, I get it now’ and he went back to sipping his drink. He and my SIL are on an Alaska cruise right now.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Engineering Tour is not cheap but you get to go into the engine room and they explain how the computerized ballast system works. I was fascinated by the technology.
I went on that my first cruise. Saw everything except the engine rooms (cruise ships work like locomotives: they have diesel run generators and the water jets are done with electric motors). One of the cool things (though the room stank lol) was that all the food left on plates is collected, ground up and put overboard as chum for the water life. Also, they have a machine that they feed wet sheets into and it not only dries, but folds the sheets in under 3 seconds.

If you go on a cruise and are interested in how they run these floating small cities, I highly recommend this excursion.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We’ve done 5, the first was to the Bahamas as last minute passengers. We had to sail through a tropical storm. Remember looking out the porthole seeing green water, then the wave would pass and there would be sky once again. Being midship at the bar it didn’t seem that bad but those waves had to be 20’ to reach that porthole.
One to the carribean that was hot as heck and the rest to Alaska which were all incredible.
For anyone thinking about an Alaskan cruise, don’t do the round trip from Seattle. Very little time in ports of call.
Fly to Anchorage making sure your on the right side of the aircraft coming into Anchorage. (You get to see 5 glaciers)
Explore Anchorage and take the Alaska railway train to Seward to board your ship. The train runs about 30 mph and is all huge glass windows. Takes about three hours and there is a dining car for lunch that was very tasty.
Lots of animal sightings along the way.
When making your reservations get a room with a balcony on the left side of the ship. On that side during the trip South, your always looking inland at the mountains and coastal waters. The right side of the ship looks out at open seas mostly until you get to the intercostal waterways.
Ports of call generally last all day vs just a couple of hours like on the round trip sails.
The next may be a cruise in the Mediterranean. We can fly there free so it’s just the cost of the cruise.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone do a Windjammer Cruise? I think it's named something else now but it's a schooner type boat(very small compared to a cruise liner) where you can help on deck or lay out and be lazy? We've done one cruise and it wasn't that bad BUT mostly because someone else paid and they booked a suite with 2 bed/bath and deck on the back watching the wake(or a port when we depart).

Thought we might consider one like this.
https://www.islandwindjammers.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom