cryogenic treatment and accurizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr300

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this realy works? And if it does, is it worth the money?And how much longer will it make my barrel last?

Also, a friend of mine told me about a way to accurize my barrel by taking it to a machine shop and/or a gunsmith and have to bore re-drilled. Is this for real or is my friend just blowing smoke up my ass?

Thanks!

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While i have never dealt with cryo'd gun parts, I have tested the difference between cryo-treated brake rotors and non-treated rotors. The untreated rotors only lasted about 1/3 of the time that the cryo'd ones did. There was no difference in stopping difference or brake fade at extended high speed events.

I would think you would get a longer wearing barrel as well but that is just my educated guess.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cryo rifle barrels will usually see some improvement in accuracy, and will also be easier to clean. Cryo'ing a handgun barrel is a waste of time/money. YMMV

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this realy works? And if it does, is it worth the money?And how much longer will it make my barrel last?

Also, a friend of mine told me about a way to accurize my barrel by taking it to a machine shop and/or a gunsmith and have to bore re-drilled. Is this for real or is my friend just blowing smoke up my ass?

Thanks!

The concensus on Rimfire Central and SnipersHide is that cryo is beneficial to some barrels, but not all. If you're talking about a rimfire, yes, the bore can be drilled and a liner put in place, if it is "shot out". If you're talking about a centerfire, that's a fairly tuck farded way to go about it. Chopping 1-2" off the end and re-crowning the barrel may be a big help, especially with Rugers, tho'...

Latest posts

Top Bottom