Decent Red-Dot sights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been having a grand time with my Hi-Point 9MM carbine. I removed the stock iron sights and mounted a rail for optics.

I have a low-end red-dot I got from a fellow OSA member. I realize the design of these sights means they all work pretty much alike.

The issue I am having is the dot moving as I move my head around. If I do not get my cheek weld exactly the same the sight is off.

Do the better red-dots have some way to correct for this or will all behave the same?

What are you getting for the money on a high-end sight like the Eotech and Aimpoint brand sights?

Thanks!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All red dots do not work alike. Some are "Parallax free" (no such thing as 100% though) at a broad selection of ranges. Some, like yours are not, or have a very inconsistent range requirement. High quality parallax free red dots will hold on target regardless of cheek weld at most working ranges (taking mechanical offset into account of course).

Some trustworthy folks on here often recommend Primary Arms red dots as a decent lower cost alternative....not sure what their parallax range is, maybe one of them will chime in.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks SMS. One thing I love about The Internet is all the information available. One thing I hate about The Internet is all of the information available.

I did a bit of reading about red-dot sights and most of what I read suggested that they all performed about the same. (parallax wise) I guess if you repeat something often enough and enough people parrot it back it becomes truth.

I do not mind paying ~$80-90 or so for a decent sight. Heck, a new low-end sight is $30!

When you see such a huge price difference between the bottom and top you have to ask what's up.

Hopefully others will chime in with info on other good sights.

Thanks.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My foray into el-cheapo red dots was limited to a BSA I put on a 22 pistol years ago. It was a true piece of junk. Would not hold zero and eventually the lens fell out. A buddy had a Leapers red dot on an AR, the mount came loose and the thing fell in the dirt. This broke something as the sight would not turn on anymore. The absolute minimum I'd put on a range toy would be a Burris FF or a C-more. I've wasted too much money buying stuff strying to save money at this point.

As far as quality red dots go, they are nice and bright, hold zero, and tough enough to be mounted on top of a firearm. I've watched people drop rifles into barrels with aimpoints and eotechs being smashed into the side/lip of the barrel and they don't loose zero or break.

Oh, and the reticle floating around will happen with all red dots, one of the advantages to them is they are not as sensitive to head position as scopes and irons, it's a good thing. As long as the reticle is more or less in the center your point of impact will not shift much. Get it out to the edge of the sight and you will start to see wandering shots.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a cheap leapers that was on my Sig 522 until I bought a magnified for it. The leapers did great against everything I've read the thing held zero and held up to my son and nephew both dropping the rifle on the ground. The reticle did not float around much, parallax was decent I've used some that were horrible and mine was not I bought it from Sooner Guns on Mingo I think it is. I may have payed 40 bucks I bought it because I had just bought the rifle from him and they don't come with any kind of iron sights so I had to have some kind of optic to shoot so I bought the middle of the line red dot he had.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know about all the technical aspects of Primary Arms, but I do know that the one I have has held zero perfectly with over 500 rounds out of a 9mm AR and I would say it's been as good as the Eotech that I have on my other AR.
I'm about to order one of their micro dots to put on a Ruger 22/45 because I've been very pleased with Primary Arms so far and the price is really nice compared to Eotechs and Aimpoints.

If you want a great red dot sight at a great price, you just can't beat em.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would stop comparing everything to Eotech and Aimpoint, and save your money and get what they are comparing everything to. I do not carry Aimpoint, because of the tunnel effect, some people do not mind that. I carry Eotech and Trigicon, you might want to check out the Trigicon RMS sights or the DR. sights before you make your choice. The RMS sights that do not use a battery, and glow at night or during the day. I like, some do not because if you use a flashlight you might have problems seeing it at night. For those that have that problem, they make one that uses batteries that does not have that problem. I have the Aim Point, the RMR by Trigicon with or without battery, and Eotech in my show room, I even have NcStar for those that cannot afford the others, you are welcome to try out and see which one you like. Just remember the old words, You get what you pay for, so purchase right to begin with. You do not have to purchase from me to try them out.

Mark

CraigA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try an ultra dot. Midway USA has them for about 175.00. I had one mounted to a 12 gauge 3 inch slug gun. .454 casaull and 308 ar. Held zero every time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom