Deer hunting with an AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They work very for deer, even using the .223. I shoot the Rem 55gr softpoint.

Proof is in the pics. Postmortum inspection showed a large hole through both lungs. The deer ran about 30 yds before piling up.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010045.jpg

I love seeing those pictures. My daughter is still not big enough to shoot my rifles but she can shoot my AR VERY well. I really don't want to spend the money to buy her a youth rifle for here to use a couple of years. After the season last year we went out and found a couple of 5 round mags and she is practicing for the upcoming fall season.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sierra makes a Gameking bullet in 55gr. that does a number on most anything you put the bullet into! now it ain't gonna work if you shoot something in the butt but if you can put a bullet in the right spot they work very well and they work in about every twist barrel out there. Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sierra makes a Gameking bullet in 55gr. that does a number on most anything you put the bullet into! now it ain't gonna work if you shoot something in the butt but if you can put a bullet in the right spot they work very well and they work in about every twist barrel out there. Later,

Kirk

Sierra Game Kings are my bullet of choice in everthing I shoot. I did not have dies for the .223 this season, so was forced to use the factory stuff.

Reaction score
Old rules on .22 centerfire were:

--55 gr or heavier (but could be ball ammo)

The part about 55 or heavier "soft nosed or hollow point" is fairly new and a very good idea. Will perform far better than ball ammo. The Winchester 62 gr soft point .223 ammo is good deer hunting ammo.

For hogs, I'd want something bigger - .260 Rem or bigger, in case a big one pops out.

Funny part about the mag capacity rule is that your AR15 or AR10 in any other caliber besides a .22 centerfire (6.5, 6.8, .30 RAR, .243, .308, etc.) is perfectly ok to have a mag capable of holding 20 or 30 rounds, and in fact be full up. If I'm reading it right... Or for that matter, an AK in 7.62x39 can hold 30 rounds, no problem.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old rules on .22 centerfire were:

--55 gr or heavier (but could be ball ammo)

The part about 55 or heavier "soft nosed or hollow point" is fairly new and a very good idea. Will perform far better than ball ammo. The Winchester 62 gr soft point .223 ammo is good deer hunting ammo.

For hogs, I'd want something bigger - .260 Rem or bigger, in case a big one pops out.

Funny part about the mag capacity rule is that your AR15 or AR10 in any other caliber besides a .22 centerfire (6.5, 6.8, .30 RAR, .243, .308, etc.) is perfectly ok to have a mag capable of holding 20 or 30 rounds, and in fact be full up. If I'm reading it right... Or for that matter, an AK in 7.62x39 can hold 30 rounds, no problem.

100 percent correct.
Its an old reg from the 60's that needs to be revisited.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is something new too.

Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

Used to be, case length had to be 1.5" to be legal. Anyone know when they changed this??? I haven't taught a class in a little over a year now, and it wasn't changed in the regs then.

Latest posts

Top Bottom